My Dads Deportation | Teen Ink

My Dads Deportation

By Mendoza4 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Mendoza4 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

My Dad got Deported

It all started with my dad coming to the U.S. He came over to this country to see if he could make more money or for a better future for him. He then came across my mom and they were both living happy. Then they had me, everything was going nice and my parents had another 3 children. During the time when my parents were having my siblings, a lot of my dad's family members were either dying off or were being murdered for gang relations or drug cartel involvement. So my dad starting drinking, he would always be drinking because it would supposedly make him forget about how they died. He then stopped caring about the family and started drinking more and more and would not stop for anything. When I was young he had gotten a DUI that he had not gone to court for. Since he missed that court date he already had been on the list to be arrested. Later in the years he still had his drinking problem and he was drifting more and more away from our family. And then one event happened that changed my dads life forever. He had heard from his own mother, that my uncle who had been in the U.S. but had gone back to protect their mom, had died by being shot 17 times in the back in a driveby shooting. We still don’t know to this day why he had been shot or as to why he was shot, but my dad and I had been devastated. He was my favorite uncle and my dad had basically raised him(he was the youngest brother from my dads family). My dad had cried for weeks on straight and I would be beside him doing the same. We had both felt it and it hurt. So then my dad started drinking even worse than he already was and he started doing even more things that were bad and was always working away. He would be working and traveling for more than a month at the most and would leave my mom with us. So fast forwarding about 2 years, we moved into a house in Newark, I had already been in at least 3 different middle schools and this last one is where it all went downhill. We couldn’t afford to pay for rent because how much my dad was drinking and my mom had to start working in order to get us food and whatever we needed, my dad only helped with only the bit of money that he would have left after getting whatever drinks he would get to forget about those times. One night he went out with my mom to go get groceries, only my mom came back and I asked her why my dad wasn’t back. She told me that when she was on her way back with my dad, he was drunk and the police had stopped them, the cop had detained him and took him to the station so I was nervous asking why he had been detained. She told me the news that he had been arrested and I had to stay calm for the rest of the night and me and my mom told my siblings that he had gone to work. A couple of days later we had heard the news that he was being deported, maybe it was the DUI that he previously got or maybe it was what Donald Trump had said, but he was then taken to México where he had to meet up with one of his family members. My mom planned to go to California to get support from her side of the family, they had helped a lot but we have been doing worse ever since he left. Nowadays we are definitely better than we ever have been.