Why Lydia | Teen Ink

Why Lydia

My name means “beautiful one” or “noble one” in Greek, famous people go by that name and live up to the definition. The name is like a bright purple, representing all of the stories that go along with the name, all the adventures of the past. 

There are many famous women with the name Lydia. They always have been leaders, looking to achieve goals never done before. Many fought for their rights and the fame that they now hold. Human rights and suffrage movements, many of history's Lydias have made their mark. 

As the Olympics play on the television in my living room, I hear my name called. I run over to see what's happening: another teenage girl. She's going up against the best, the ones that beat world records over and over again. She's the underdog, no one paying attention to her story. At the last second, she bolts past, everybody is surprised. 

My mom cheered for her, she said sarcastically “I thought I picked out a unique name,”  as she looked at me. 

When I was little I hated the kids with my name. I wanted to be the only one, the only one people would think of when Lydia was mentioned. But I also hated my name, the uniqueness of it. I could never find my name on the little keychains and toys at Disney world. I would get so jealous of my brother that has a common name. Everyone would know how to spell it, they wouldn't get the name mixed up with anyone else. But my parents hated how when they would meet a new Asian kid, his name would be Kevin. So they picked a name that would be only me.

My parents liked the name, Lydia. It was unique only knowing one other person that had the name. Always telling me different stories about how they picked it. It's always that they heard the name somewhere and chose it. They had a friend with the name, they saw it in a book, they heard it on tv. There was no competition, it was set in stone. 

There is no real deep meaning behind the name, they liked the way it sounded with my last name. The way it sounded elegant, professional, they didn't know the stories behind my name, the stories of the people with the same name. 

This is the story behind my name and the people who share my name.

Lydiaq ELITE said...
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

The universe must be a teenage girl. So much darkness, so many stars.
--me

O my goodness, I'm LYDIA!!! ALSO! There is deep meaning behind the name. Lydia is in the book of Acts in the Bible. She was the first Christian convert in Europe.