My Story | Teen Ink

My Story

December 9, 2021
By Anonymous

When I was 16, I was sexually assaulted. The first people I told were my family members. I remember trying to discuss with my mom the event that took place. At first, I just told her the man’s energy was off, that he had seemed a bit creepy. The next day, I alluded to how he was touchy and it made me uncomfortable. After a few days of processing, I told my mom the truth about everything that really happened. I planned on telling my dad and brothers next but I was hesitant. It wasn’t that I couldn’t or shouldn't tell them, but I was nervous about how they would respond. I was not scared of how they would react towards me but because of how protective they are, I was scared of how they would react to the situation. I didn’t want them doing or saying anything impulsive or reactionary. As soon as I started describing the situation I saw this rage build inside them. This was something I had never seen before. For the next few months, I regretted telling my family. It felt like I was walking around with “I was just sexually assaulted” written on my forehead. My mom begged me to go to therapy. My brothers were constantly checking up on me. My dad would continuously apologize as if what happened had been his fault. I didn’t want their pity or sympathy at the time. I wanted them to forget about it. I wanted to forget about it. I wanted to push all the memories and emotions away. I just wanted to move on. 

When I look back now I couldn’t be more grateful that my family was there to support me. I realized I needed that extra push to go to therapy. I needed the overwhelming love from my brothers and my dad. I needed to have people I could confide in and have a safe space to process. I'm not sure how I would’ve gotten through it without them. My heart aches for victims who have to go through the healing process alone. 

1 out of every 6 women in America are sexually assaulted or raped at one point in their life. One of the saddest parts is how few women have someone to help them get through it. I have been blessed with an amazing family yet I still had second thoughts about telling them. I can’t even begin to imagine the fear other women must have when they feel as though they have nobody to go to. I want to offer the love I received during my trying times to other women. To create a comforting environment where women and survivors of all ages can gather and support one another.

A huge challenge that comes with processing sexual assault is finding a good resource for young women. The system was not easy to navigate. Many parts of it are designed so that you feel ashamed and helpless. I don’t know how a girl would be able to juggle the pain and shame of being sexually assaulted while trying to find help on her own. Your mind is jumbled. You cannot think clearly.  These girls need an advocate who understands what they have been through

I do believe that we can take the traumatic things that happen in life and use them to help others. This experience showed me so many flaws in our system. My passion is helping other women get through this with support from survivors who have been through the same thing. We can provide education and resources to help them heal. 


The author's comments:

This piece briefly goes over my healing process after being sexually assaulted and then transitions into how that sparked my interest in my career path.