My Pimple Growth | Teen Ink

My Pimple Growth

May 26, 2022
By parkandrew BRONZE, Seongnam, Other
parkandrew BRONZE, Seongnam, Other
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Not again! I frantically recalled everything I ate the previous day and pulled out my long list of “what not to eat,” thoroughly investigating the culprit of such a horrific violation to my face. Acne is common for adolescents, but the ones I had proved to be an elite, special kind–the relentless kind, refusing to subside from all treatments while mercilessly invading all corners of my face. Fully reinforced by contact dermatitis, the unending vicious battles of the trenches began and even expanded into lethal psychological warfare.

 

Transitioning from school to school, I couldn’t fit in normally. Being 6’2” at the start of puberty didn’t help either. Towering high like a lamppost, my red bumpy face beaming for all to see, invited all sorts of nicknames such as the ‘pimple monster’ and alike. Others were more benign yet felt obligated to give advice, which many of them were already in my routine.  

Frustrated and often defeated, I’ve tried manually eradicating them by the infamous popping technique. Yet, the permanent scars left by the squeeze mixed with newly burgeoning pimples truly made it more monstrous. Not having a terrific start to my teenage year would be an understatement crushing the little fragile teenage confidence I had into bits and pieces. The only optimism I could find amid a disastrous beginning was that it could only get better from here.

 

Battling against my pimples, like any battle, required a clear strategy and a game plan that I could execute in confidence. Clawing out of what seemed to be a cursed acne abyss took determination and grit to navigate the vast plethora of skincare products and multiple factors of causalities. My fascination with dermatology burgeoned in immersing myself in countless hours of research. The unique skin types, the importance of PH values, and the pivotal interconnection to skin with food consumption and sleeping patterns, each discovery gave me weapons to my arsenal, which contributed to ameliorating. However, when I found that the ultimate hurdle was genetics, I realized pimples were part of me. Science has helped me realize that my imperfections make up who I am, and the battleground was in the perception and perhaps more internal than external. I came to peace with my pimples.

 

As time passed, my pimples eventually subsided while my expertise in skin remained. Now, my tall frame of 6’2” served as a billboard displaying a significant before and after, and I soon became a reliable ‘skin doctor’ among my peers. The comments alluding to the acne that used to tag me now changed to inquiries about skin and skincare products. I realized how much I enjoy giving advice from my experience, ascertaining the root of the issue, and researching further to attain more knowledge. I suppose the incredible sense of fulfillment stems from the vindication that I have turned my personal turmoil into a newfound avenue of service.

 

My pimple journey–the agony, dedication, and discipline–became a significant aspect of my development. While harnessing a meticulous curiosity in science and a drive to tackle a problem, I have also understood that my imperfections make up who I am. Hence, striving while embracing allowed me to make the most of what’s been given to me. As life throws many bumps along the path, I am reminded that every struggle brings an opportunity for service as the struggles we face are seldomly unique, so I persist and keep battling out.