Zooming Out | Teen Ink

Zooming Out

By AndyC2 SILVER, Westford, Massachusetts
AndyC2 SILVER, Westford, Massachusetts

Yellow taxis honking endlessly. Large, disorderly crowds jaywalking. Idling cars emitting potent fumes. I felt unusually uncomfortable roaming the streets of downtown Brooklyn with my parents as we searched for a restaurant. Having not seen my brother in months, my parents and I were there to catch up with him after his long day at work. Even as we waited outside the popular hole-in-the-wall eatery that would be our dinner spot for the next few hours, something bothered me. Whether it was the carpet of half-lit cigarettes or the noxious car pollution that overpowered the savory scent from nearby street taco stands, something was off. I felt out of place, and I found fault with everything around me. Perhaps it was because I was so used to life back in Concord, where I heard soft whistling wind instead of honking taxis or saw changing leaves instead of hectic crowds of people. 

However, as the night went on, my discomfort gradually receded. Hearing my brother talk about everything from the best New York City pizza to his daily work schedule, I turned away from all the chaos around me. One moment, in particular, stuck with me. As he talked about his habit of playing tennis in the park with his roommates, I was brought back to the time when we used to do the same. I reminisced on our Sunday tradition of hitting tennis balls back-and-forth in our nearby park before returning home to watch the Patriots game together. I remembered that it was in those moments where we caught up and connected with each other after a long, stressful week apart. Back at the restaurant, I quickly grew to appreciate the opportunity for rare hours with my brother, whether on a tennis court or over a meal of food. It was time that I realized I was wasting and taking for granted while frowning upon the city. 

After dinner, we took the elevator to the top of his apartment building for a view of the New York skyline. Escaping from the hustle and bustle of the city streets, I was mesmerized. At last, there was silence, empty space, and odorless air. Cars were nowhere to be heard, and the air smelled like the fresh air of Concord. Crowds of people were indistinguishable from above, and the skyscrapers didn’t loom over me–we were shoulder-to-shoulder now. I couldn’t have found more beauty that day than I did by zooming out toward the clouds, where the city’s chaos and problems were vaporized. It was almost as if I was back in Concord, lying on the Circle with my eyes closed.

Along with reconnecting with my brother yesterday, witnessing the NYC skyline reminded me to not get too caught up in life. Yes, I recognize the importance of savoring the little moments that make life so memorable, but taking a step back helped me appreciate such timeless things like a family bond or my mere existence on this breathtaking planet. I was reminded of the beauty in the bigger picture of life, beauty that often goes forgotten when I get caught up in the small things, forget about my surroundings, and lose track of all time and perspective.