A Simple Piece of Paper | Teen Ink

A Simple Piece of Paper

It is overcast with a slight spec of sun, and a light breeze passing through. The black of the track is as cold as ice. The curled ponytails swing in the wind. The slight smell of hot chocolate gravitates towards the crowd. 

I see a glimpse of a silhouette I can make out as a cheerleader that seems to be my best friend. She comes running in like she has no time to waste. She hugs me and starts stretching realizing there are only 20 minutes left on the scoreboard before the game begins.

She starts by announcing “I have a gift for you after this! It's not a lot but I made something for you!” She never knew but just hearing that got me excited. At that moment it didn’t even matter what it was at that point. I would have loved whatever she decided to give me because it was from her.

Quarter 1.. Then half time .. Then quarter 3.. 

Then suddenly we were celebrating the win that was accomplished on this October night. She hands me a carefully folded piece of paper with edges that didn’t necessarily match. The paper crinkles, as I open it carefully not wanting it to tear.

As I take in every last word, tears begin to form, then I come across the words “never lose your strength, that is one of your best qualities.” I fold the lined sheet of paper how it started like no one touched it. She will never know how much I cherish that piece of paper and still do 3 years later.

Something as simple as a piece of paper with words of appreciation can have so much meaning. Just this simple but meaningful action inspired me to be this person for others to come… Not too long after that game I started to show appreciation for others whether it was a quick text, note, or gift to someone. And from that day I made sure my loved ones feel special all thanks to her.

Little actions can affect people more than you think.