DREWSTRONG (Essay Contest) | Teen Ink

DREWSTRONG (Essay Contest)

October 4, 2022
By ElliDiDonato SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
ElliDiDonato SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On November 17th, 2021 my life changed forever. I was just 16 years old. My brother and best friend, who was in an electric skateboarding accident 12 days earlier, passed away. He suffered a traumatic brain injury on the night of November 5th, when he was skateboarding in a parking garage with his closest friends. He always wore a helmet, but for some reason, he wasn’t that time. 

Starting from his time in the ICU, my family and I raised money on GoFundMe for a scholarship at Iowa State University where he was currently attending. This is a scholarship that would go to a student every single year that struggled with a disability. This was very near and dear to my brother’s heart as he was proudly autistic. For this scholarship, we raised $100,000 dollars that will continue to help a chosen student with a disability each year. 

My family and I have continued to raise money for the Iowa Donor Network, as my brother was graciously able to donate his organs and saved countless lives, and the Ronald McDonald House. This year we have raised nearly $20,000 dollars through direct donations and sales from a clothing line that I created to promote helmet safety. From this time on, we have created a non-profit under the name DREWSTRONG to promote helmet safety and awareness. 

Seeing my brother’s organ recipients thrive because of him has changed my life forever. I am so grateful that something positive has come out of such a negative situation. The light has returned to their eyes and they are able to provide for their families again; something that would never have been possible without organ donation. 

Although my life changed for the worse on November 17th, 2021, so many people received the gift of life through organ donation, all because of the selfless decision of my brother. Starting this year, one student at Iowa State will receive the scholarship my family and I created. I encourage organ donation for everyone I meet and promote checking the little box on your driver's license. Most importantly, wear your helmet, it saves lives. 


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.