Soda Pop | Teen Ink

Soda Pop

By StarDolphin BRONZE, Sacramento, California
StarDolphin BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"A place where someone still thinks about you is a place you can call home." - Jiraiya

I always think of a good beverage to drink when I’m eating. I mostly drink water, but sometimes you just don’t want water. Maybe I’d drink juice or something, but I want something a little heavier. Soda, yes, that’s a very popular drinking beverage, I’ll pick that. Well, picking soda was one of the worst and somewhat, funny, mistakes I’ve ever made.

When I was in middle school, there was a plaza about 10-15 minutes walk away from the school. There were many shops and restaurants, such as a Bel-Air and that type of stuff. One of them was a small and quiet pizza restaurant named Mountain Mike’s. After school, I would usually stay at the library right next to the school. But one day, on a Tuesday, a certain someone invited me to eat out.

“Yo, you wanna go to the plaza with me and Eric?” asked Bob.

I replied with, “Sure, I guess…”

Bob was a classmate and friend at school, who I knew on a surface level. We weren’t complete strangers, but we weren’t exactly buddy friends as well. Who also came along was Eric, who I also didn’t know much. But, we’re not complete strangers either.

We began our walk to the plaza, and I was thinking, “Man…. I’m quite nervous. But I’m also excited.” We talked about random stuff and enjoyed the scenery during the walk. But I had this anxiety within me as we got closer and closer. You see, I rarely went out and ate without my parents, so I was still socially awkward and anxious to talk to people outside of home or school. My heart pounded harder and harder as I saw the plaza growing in size. But I took a deep breath and calmed down.

We arrived at Mountain Mike’s, and Bob and Eric casually walked in. But I was hesitant and nervous. The restaurant had a looming presence over me. But I was determined to overcome my fears and order a damn pizza. I thought, “I’m a little coward so nevermind.”

When I entered, Bob and Eric were awkwardly at the entrance looking into the restaurant. There was a small family dining it at the far corner and the cashier to our right, just staring at us. I was filled with a large sense of anxiety. Bob, Eric, and I uncomfortably huddle at the front door.

“Okay, so who’s ordering?” Bob asked.

I thought, “Wait, what?”

“Not me,” Eric said abruptly.

“W-Wait, I thought you guys were going to order?” I nervously asked.

“Well… I’m socially awkward!” Bob exclaimed. WHAT?! How are they going to ask me to come with them, if they aren’t going to order?!

“WHAT? Eric, can you order?”

“No, I’m awkward too.”

I began internally screaming. What should I do? I never expected this to happen. My anxiety overtakes me and I begin to panic. I nervously look at Bob and Eric, who faces me. I turn to the cashier, and he also patiently waits for us. I have to be the one who takes initiative here, because how will we get over this without one of us doing it? I have to be the biggest person here--

“Alright fine, I’ll order then,” Bob assertively said.

Ah, well that settles it…

Bob walked up to the cashier, then Eric and I followed him. He ordered a meat lover's pizza and a supreme pizza. I started to calm down because I was glad that I didn’t have to order. I felt a huge weight off of my shoulders, and I took a deep breath of relief. Bob, Eric, and I sit down and wait for the food to come. Today was pretty simple, we ordered pizza, paid for it, and we ate it outside of the restaurant. From what I can recall, it was a really good pizza.

However, here comes next Tuesday… Bob invites me to come to Mountain Mike’s again. Even though the experience was scary at first, I felt optimistic this time. Maybe I won’t have to order again, and I’ll just be tagging along. I’m being the one invited, so why should I be scared? Bob, Eric, and I went our way to Mountain Mike’s, but last time there was something missing.

“Do you guys wanna go to the Bel-Air next to the Mountain Mike’s?” Bob suggested.

“Bel-Air? I don’t know…” I thought. “Maybe. Do you have extra money?” I asked.

“We could just get a small beverage,” Eric added.

“Sounds about right. So it’s all on you,” Bob said to me.

“Alright, I guess…” I nervously responded.

We went to the Bel-Air first to buy a small drink for ourselves. And the store was really huge. We split our separate ways in the store to find a drink for ourselves. Hmm… What should I get? Water would be a good choice, but I want something more than that if I’m going to be eating pizza. Juice, I think juice would be good… But I want something heavier. I keep looking in the aisle, and find a bunch of sodas. Soda, that’s what I want to drink. I picked a soda, and I picked Dr. Pepper, because it has a nice stingy feel to it.

Bob and Eric got Arizona Iced Tea, which I kind of regretted getting soda after seeing that. But I already grabbed it and paid for it, so there’s no going back. We enter the Mountain Mike’s, and I’m feeling more confident about myself.

I thought, “Maybe I can order it this time.” But it was already too late, because Bob was already ordering again.

I walked to Bob and Eric as they were ordering. I felt very confident just standing next to them. I felt like I could order next time. This concentrated thought made me drop my Dr. Pepper. Thankfully, it was closed, so nothing spilled. I picked it back up and my throat felt a little coarse. I needed a drink. Without thought, by instinct, I twisted the cap of my bottle, and Eric’s face was shocked as he anticipated it would happen.

BOOM!

Dr. Pepper explodes and spills everywhere.

Everyone stares at me in silence, and in shock. What I just did… made a huge mess on the floor and on my phone and earphones. I didn’t know what to say.

“...Where’s the bathroom?” I asked.

“It’s to the left,” the cashier replied.

I immediately left to the bathroom and hid there for 5 minutes. I cleaned up my phone, earphones, and my shirt was sprinkled with Dr. Pepper. Not only did I just embarrass myself, but I lost my only drink for pizza. I was scared to come out, and I didn’t even apologize. I went back out and I saw the cashier mopping up my mess. Bob hands 5 dollars to the cashier, tipping him for my mistake. I feel even worse now, Bob paid for my mistake. I sat down on a chair next to the table and tried to forget that I did it.

We ate the pizza that we ordered, but I felt really bad for eating it like this. Not because I didn’t have a drink, it was because I spilled my drink and left a mess without saying anything. It was all my fault. But Bob told me not to burden myself over it, and he’s right. I thought my life was over, but that’s just an overreaction.

When you have things in your hands, you have to be responsible for it. When you’re around somewhere that is unfamiliar, you have to be aware of your surroundings. And before you do something stupid, always think before doing it. Which are the things I’ve learned from this horrible mistake. It was scary at the moment, but now I look back at it as a funny one. 

This was basically my first time ever going out with friends, and without my parents. When I went out to eat, I always went out with my parents. They would pay for everything, they would pick my food for me, and all of that. But in middle school, I had to learn how to be independent and learn how to do things without my parents. And that's something that led to my favorite mistake.