Sticky Sweet Flames | Teen Ink

Sticky Sweet Flames

By coovejay000 BRONZE, Larksville, Pennsylvania
coovejay000 BRONZE, Larksville, Pennsylvania

"i would wish you the best but you already have it" - Blackbear

Every few years I go to Florida to see some family and friends. My favorite place in Florida is Clearwater. It has warm blue salty water and beautiful white sandy beaches. I love to go down to the beach with my friends and make a bonfire. I usually set it up as big as I can without getting in trouble. I like to use freshly dry cut wood as the base and build my way up to make it look like a wooden tent. Once I have my bonfire built up, I light paper on fire and throw it on the wood and watch the flames slowly crawl up the wood and engulf it in an orange glow. The temperature outside is a sweltering 112 degrees, but as the night sets in it gets cooler and I think it makes it perfect. Me and my friends then sit around the orange glowing flames, laughing and having a good time. We then roast marshmallows, I fall into a different world with only me the sand and the fire. I love how I can feel the heat from the fire slightly burning my skin and watering my eyes. The scent of the smoke from the fire burns my nose and makes me wince as I turn away with watering eyes. Once I open my watering eyes I am back into reality. I take a marshmallow from the bag and place it on my stick, I can hear the crackle and popping sound of the wood being burned. I hold my stick cooking my marshmallow close enough to the fire without burning it. I slowly rotate my stick cooking the marshmallow to a perfectly toasted golden brown. I peel the top layer off and pop it in my mouth, and let the sweet smokiness of the marshmallow take over my taste buds. My friends decide to drop theirs in the fire and watch the now black marshmallow sizzle melt and burn to nothing. Or they burn them and try and try to eat the charcoal black marshmallow. I laugh as they spit them out leaving a thin shiny tail of saliva and chewed marshmallows hanging from their blacked tongues. I enjoy mine and let the warmth of the sand and the fire wrap me in a blanket along with the sweet sensation of the marshmallows.

sweet simple and sweet :)