Evolution of today | Teen Ink

Evolution of today

November 23, 2022
By Ana_K PLATINUM, Nyc, New York
Ana_K PLATINUM, Nyc, New York
31 articles 22 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is impossible to break the law. We can only break ourselves against the law.


In Sri Lanka, past generations of children used to roam around paddy fields, catch dragonflies, play in the lake for hours, basking in the sun, happily. These days, I sit here, in an apartment with sunlight barely peeking through the closed shutters, alone and isolated. Majority of our plants are artificial; I barely ever get to see grass let alone feel the touch of it anymore. I'm one of those people who love the sun, I can never hate it, yet, when I open the blinds, I am blinded as I remember that I have been living in a cave I call my home.

 
Children that time had much more freedom, they could ride their bike to the shops and to other houses without pleading and begging their parents. They were definitely much more fit, as they run around the roads and cycle daily. As of now, we are forced to do exercises to keep us from becoming diabetic by the mass of unhealthy food that is under the facade of '100% organic'. At that time, there was no forced exercise, their daily work by running everywhere kept them healthy, fit, and strong.

 
Children at the time did not have phones, or Discord or laptops. Their eyes didn't falter under blue light, weakening, their eyesight was strong and healthy, they never wore glasses unlike today's children, wearing glasses at such a young age.

 
The children of the past got to wake up and hear birds and smell fresh air, something we don't even get to smell and hear. Waking up to motorbikes and buses and smoke is not my favourite thing at all.

 
We spend a lot of money (and I mean A LOT) on air purifiers, healthy food and vitamins. Children of Sri Lanka's past, they never needed to have tablets continuously, never needed to check what's organic and what's not. Their air was fresh and pure, a cleanser.

 
These days, we start becoming hunched as if reverting back to our original form. We are definitely more antisocial and unhealthy.

 
Like how a babies need milk and care and attention, so does an old man. We grow and then become our past selves. Like I said before, we evolved from chimpanzees and became humans, now it seems that we are reverting back.

 
Nothing lasts, after all.