Farmers are fake | Teen Ink

Farmers are fake

November 23, 2022
By Ana_K PLATINUM, Nyc, New York
Ana_K PLATINUM, Nyc, New York
31 articles 22 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is impossible to break the law. We can only break ourselves against the law.


From a young age, I've always been under the facade that foragers (or cavemen, as I called them) had crazy, electrocuted hair, wore leopard skins, only ate huge masses of bloody meat and talked in a feverish, angry language.

But as I entered middle school, we learnt history. Not about boring dead kings, timelines and quotes. But about nomads, hunter gatherers, foragers. This totally opened my mind, I've always thought that people of today are smarter and efficient than 'cavemen'. I guess I was wrong. I was just under the facade of stereotypical history. Stereotypical people.

On the other hand, farmers were the heroes, the tame and strong people. They cultivated loads of plants, saved the planet, and always had wheat in their mouth.

 
I was wrong.

 
They actually were weaker, prone to more disease than foragers, since the lived in one place, that meant.. all their 'waste' was in one place. And they didn't have sewage systems, meaning diseases spread, people died and the others got weaker. In addition, their continuous work for hours at a stretch made their bones fragile. Unlike foragers, they barely had a break, they just worked and worked.

 
But, for what?

 
Like them, agriculture is very fragile. With unprecedented storms and animal invasions, farmers and their families often lived in starvation. The foragers too grew crops. but on a much smaller scale, this meant that unlike the farmers, they didn't deforest acres of land, but actually took care of our planet far better than farmers ever did. Foragers were smarter too, they not only knew how to tend to crop, but understood seasons and the weather through animal migration and patterns, the were much more assertive. 


So, we really can't say that farmers are healthy at all. Foragers, our past selves, had the world, and they took care of it, and themselves. They found balance. 
And yet, look at today, do we see many foragers anymore? Or farmers? Will the world ever learn to listen to the past?