Criminal justice | Teen Ink

Criminal justice

By corinna_lang1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
corinna_lang1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Knowing my future career is something that I will never fully know what I wanna do. There are so many paths I could go down that would fit me so well but they all just don't have my full attention. The person that made me think about “how many things would be fun” was my friend Reese. We watched a lot of crime shows which drew me in even more.

My family always told me I would be good at being a signer (sign language) because I took ASL one time and liked it but it would be really hard. Everyone also told me that I would be a good teacher or counselor because I am good with kids and I can talk to pretty much anyone. Which is true I can talk to people well but that is just not something I wanna do the rest of my life. 

Being in the BAU is something that interests me a lot because of how cool it is. My favorite show is Criminal Minds. I would have it all day, everyday and I would make my family watch it with me. Every episode drew my attention and I would always try and solve the cases before they did, (sometimes it worked). With doing that I knew that was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. 

I want to go to the university of A&M Corpus Christi and minor in criminal justice and major in sociology. I used to just want to go into business because it was the “easier” option and I can get a job anywhere with that. Then I realized that was not something that I wanted to do because it doesn't interest me at all. Knowing that I have an idea of what I want to do makes me more ready and excited for college because I actually get to put my career to use. 

I have thought a lot about what I want to do when I'm older. When I was a kid I wanted to be a teacher so badly. My parents even made our guest room into a whole school, white boards and everything. It was so much fun to have that and to be able to live my future career I wanted to do. But I then realized that I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life. Thinking about your future career is a very hard decision to make because there are so many options to choose from and you have to decide is this what I want to be when im older or not. 

Knowing that I'm growing up and having to kind of pick what I want to be when I'm older is very scary because you are on your own once you leave for college and it's all on you and if you want it, you have to work hard for it. But knowing that I have something in mind makes it a lot easier.