The Heart of Western Springs: Kirschbaum’s Bakery | Teen Ink

The Heart of Western Springs: Kirschbaum’s Bakery

By Mollynash BRONZE, Western Springs, Illinois
Mollynash BRONZE, Western Springs, Illinois

The line stretched outside and around the corner. There was a chill in the air and the snow was beginning to fall. I couldn’t believe I was waiting outside of Kirschbaums at 7 AM in the dark to get the holiday-themed coffee cakes, donuts, cookies, and cakes. Kirschbaum’s Bakery, located in Western Springs, has had a cult-like following for 70 years. People from all over the Chicagoland area come to purchase Kirschbaum’s Bakery’s delicious treats. The fourth generation of the Kirschbaum family runs the old-fashioned bakery today. Kirschbaum’s Bakery is known for having excellent cookies, donuts, coffee cakes, cupcakes, cakes, and cake pops. It has evolved over the years into becoming an iconic bakery. Once you try a taste, I am sure you will understand what makes it an exceptional place to get a sweet treat.  

The Bakery was opened in 1953 by Lester and Cele Kirschbaum. Just like any new business, when Kirshbaums opened, they never anticipated the success of their bakery. It started as a small deli and a bakery on Hillgrove Ave in La Grange. Lester made baked goods and stocked the store, while Cele made potato salads and cole slaw from scratch. Their son, Bob Kirschbaum, worked in the shop at the register. They worked together as a family to make their bakery successful. In 1954, when they needed more space, Kirschbaum’s moved to 825 Burlington Avenue in Western Springs. The bakery grew as their profits grew. The family worked diligently to make their bakery special. They took pride in their work and connected with their customers. They wanted their bakery to feel personal, like a place where everyone knew each other. Because they were so devoted to their business, Cele and Lester made their home above the bakery. Then to further Kirschbaum's Bakery’s one-of-a-kind treats, their son, Bob, decided to get more involved by attending the Dunwoody Baking Program. He learned new ways to improve on what they already were so talented at. Lester and Bob focused on cake decorating and Cele worked on her chocolate cake. 

The bakery has been passed down through generations and remains in the Kirschbaum family today. What makes Kirschbaum's stand out from the rest of the bakeries is more than their delicious treats. The family traditions passed down through generations make it so outstanding and special to the Western Springs community. Families travel far distances just to make sure Kirshbaum treats are served at their family parties. In 2019, Kirschbaum’s Bakery was named the sweetest bakery in Illinois by Dawn Food Products. I am sure if Lester and Cele were still alive today, they would be so proud of how far Kirshbaum’s Bakery has come.

These baked goods are the most delicious sweet treats I have ever tasted. Growing up four blocks away from Kirschbaum’s Bakery, I would beg my parents to take me after school to get a batch of their famously delicious smiley face cookies so I could eat one for dessert and bring another to lunch the next day. When lunchtime rolled around at school the next day, all my classmates would be jealous that I was eating a Kirschbaum’s smiley face cookie. Their unique appearance and frosting color of either hot pink or bright yellow made them stand out. Many of the kids wanted me to break off the smallest piece of the cookie just so they could have the smallest bite. There is a particular way to eat these iconic cookies. All of the kids in Western Springs would peel off the milk chocolate eyes and smile from these pink and yellow frosted cookies to eat first. Then, we would fill our mouths with the base of the cookie. It may sound silly, but we were convinced it made them taste better. Penny Kirschbaum states that the smiley face cookies “are our most popular item.” The family also adds that they are the best because they make their customers happy. Whether it’s their scrumptious sugar cookie secret recipe or their flavorful sweet icing, the smiley face cookie is always a crowd-pleaser. 

It’s not just the cookies that make this place exceptional. Many of their other savory treats are worth trying. A very knowledgeable teacher of mine once shared that the best chocolate donuts are from Kirschbaum’s Bakery, and honestly, I don’t disagree with him. These sweet treats are irresistible, after the first bite. The contrast of a crisp exterior and airy interior makes the donut so desirable. With half the donut having rainbow sprinkles and the other half having regular chocolate icing, what's not to love? Even my friend Kate, who does not like donuts, says she loves to eat Kirschbaum’s chocolate donuts. These gourmet cake-based donuts are put on display for the whole town’s mouths to water as they pass by the prominent bakery’s glass windows. 

The legacy of the Kirschbaum family has continued to live on for years because they have become a part of so many family traditions. It’s not a true Nash family holiday unless we celebrate with a cake from Kirschbaum’s. I know my family is not the only one that feels this way. The seasonal specialties add an element of excitement to the bakery. Growing up, Christmas easily became my favorite holiday because of Kirschbaum's pastries. It has always been a tradition for my mom and I to go into the bakery together. My mom and I always pick out the best Christmas-themed cookies and cakes. The Christmas tree coffee cake has been our tradition to eat on Christmas morning. After unwrapping my gifts on Christmas morning, I knew there was always more to look forward to because there was a Kirschbaum’s Christmas tree coffee cake waiting for me. It helped make my Christmas morning extra special when I was younger. The Kirschbaum family has instilled that joy in so many families by sharing their bakery masterpieces with everyone.