Glass Scale | Teen Ink

Glass Scale

41.3 kg. 

The number that looks back at me as I stare at myself in the reflection of the delicate glass scale. This was the first time I truly valued my existence in my appearance, my weight, my measurements. 

You will never be enough. 

Run over, my frail body of just 13 years is crushed. I stand there, dumbfounded, in just my bra and underwear, the eyes of a dozen adults glazing over every imperfection, every flaw. 

"She looks so young."

"She's too short." 

"She doesn't fit the market."

I thought I would feel beautiful. 

Oh baby, how wrong I was. 

43.5 kg. 

"You've gained weight."

The phrase that will always ring in my mind. What happened to the high fashion magazines? The glamorous wedding dresses? 

I stand in the middle of Shinjuku, dressed in head-to-toe pink, bright blue lipstick, six-inch heels, and to tie it all together - my hair is in an afro. 

I look like a fool. 

Bursts of laughter echo with every passerby.

I'm done. 

48.1 kg.

I'm seated, waiting for my name to be called. Hundreds of other girls in the same position - many I know. 

A Shiseido campaign, imagine. 

The room is quiet; the wrecks of anticipation halt everyone. My agent is seated to my left; he examines my comp card - a summary of my work, partners, and, most importantly, my measurements. 

The thin film of silence is broken. "芹奈さま" - my name is called; I quickly stand up. All eyes illuminate attention to us, to me.

I introduced myself to the casting agent and handed him my comp card. He gestures to the X marked in front of the camera; I pose as the photographer takes a couple of shots and then thanks me for my time. 

I take a few steps toward the door; my agent meets my side. 

"子供じゃないんだから。もっと痩せれば? - You are not a little girl anymore - lose the weight."

How could something I once loved make me feel like this?

The piece "Glass Scale" captures the scrutiny and pressure I faced as a child model in Tokyo. I wrote it from the perspective of my thirteen-year-old self, focusing on the judgments I experienced regarding my body, weight, and perceived imperfections. Unrealistic beauty standards and critical adults crushed my initial dreams of glamour and beauty. As my weight fluctuates throughout the story, so does my self-esteem.