Strangers | Teen Ink

Strangers MAG

By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana

Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss

I had a dream the other night. I dreamt of the future. I was about to graduate high school, soon to embark on the adventure known as college. I was happy to leave small-town U.S.A.

Since it was the future, you must have already gone off to college. We were strangers. I didn't recognize you when I saw you at my dream graduation. But there you were.

We were strangers.

You were with your family, and I was with mine. My friends were loud with impatience, ready to bolt, ready to leave high school behind. Diplomas were handed out. Caps were thrown. You smiled and disappeared.

We were strangers.

Cheesecake. We all had cheesecake at my dream graduation party. It was at the park, and I was swinging by myself. Suddenly, you were there swinging next to me, smiling.

“Hey, stranger. Long time no see.”

In my dream, we talked easily. In my dream, you laughed with me. In my dream, you reminded me I owed you a rematch in Connect 4.

And in my dream, you asked me that question.

“If you could go back and change one thing from high school, what would it be?”

I stopped swinging and stood up. You stood next to me, looking into my eyes. Because it was a dream, magically, I grew tall enough to return your gaze.

“If I could change one thing …” I leaned closer, watching the sunlight dance in your beautiful eyes. Then, I kissed you. “I would go back and do that sooner.”

We were no longer strangers.

But then I woke up. I went to school. You walked right past me. And we were strangers once more.

Passion4 PLATINUM, Ponte Vedra, Florida

"Real life sucks losers dry. If you want to f*** with the eagles, you gotta learn to fly." -Heathers

I love your writing! I relate to this waaay too much. Ahh! Love sucks when you don't know what to say. :P the article was so well written and really pinpointed emotions, illustrating it perfectly for the reader. Thank you so much for writing this. You put into words what i was never able to! :)

Eilleen said...
Eilleen, Saskatoon, Other
I like this peice... isn;t it funny how in dreams things come so easily

RockinEmerald SILVER, Imlay City, Michigan

Don't give up.

you did a good job describing your dream

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

I love the story and picture. That was such a sweet story and I loved what you chose as the answer to the question of what would you change if you could go back to high school. Too bad it was only a dream. Great Job. Will you please read,comment and rate my articles? Thanks.

tuzik SILVER said...
tuzik SILVER, Martinsville, New Jersey

this is suchhh a nice piece!

i really like how you give little details like the cheesecake and connect 4, as well as the overall simplicity :)