Dear Daddy | Teen Ink

Dear Daddy

By Gyl1224 GOLD, Bethesda, Maryland
Gyl1224 GOLD, Bethesda, Maryland

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home -Twyla Tharp

Dear Daddy,
Why is it that you say you love me, but at times, it seems as though you don’t even know I’m here? You say you would like to spend time with me, but before I know, the summer is over, and we haven’t even sat down to eat dinner together. You play sports with me, you say I’m athletic and good, but you complain because I don’t play the sports you play. You try to be proud of me, and of my writing, but all you can think of to say is, “It’s good.” Sometimes I don’t even know if you read them, or if you shove them onto your secretary’s desk while you rush to a meeting. The little time we do spend together, usually in the car, you are on your two blackberries, reading emails, talking to co-workers, or talking to ’her’. Once, you even asked me what I thought about her, and I laughed. “You’re actually asking for my opinion, a year after you start to go out with her?” I say. You don’t want my opinion, because even if I said I didn’t like her, you would still be with her, no matter what. You say you are coming back, but a few minutes later, you say, “with her.” I choke on my drink, trying not to spit it out in utter surprise. “Oh,” I say quietly, trying to hide my amusement. You decide to tell me now instead of four months after your decision, like you did before, when you told me you had a girlfriend, and that her name was Natalia. You consistently tell me I should loose weight, constantly say that I should work out more. I got tired of hearing you push my self-esteem down, so I joined a sports team, just for you. I enjoy it now, truly I love rowing, but in the beginning, I was willing to become bulimic for you. I have lost 10 pounds in total, I tell you, you say, “good, you only have a little more to loose,” nothing I do is ever good enough for you, you expect so much from me, but I can’t do everything. Daddy I love you, but do you love me?
Love,
Gyliane

Try talking to your dad about how you feel when he's in a calmn mood. I know it sounds clique, but it really does work. Good luck.

Meganchristine BRONZE, Millville, New Jersey

"You can do no wrong in the eyes of a follower"

“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”

I'm sorry I lied it'll be in fiction, but I did go through it, I just wrote it in a creative way

Oh my lord, I can relate in a huge way! Me and my dad don't have a relationship eaither. At first I clicked on this because it sounded like something I would be jealous of. ( I can't call my dad daddy anymore. ) When I started reading, I thought, well she's lucky to have a dad to say she was good at something oh paid attention to her. Now finishing it I couldn't believe how similar feeling we have. Yes my dad lives with me, and he and my mom have stayed married, but that only makes it worse. No matter what I do to try to make him proud, for him to pay attention to me it always fades. I would do anything as you did to make my dad happy. But no matter what I do even if I'm told to do it, it never seams to be good enough for him. I'll be posting a non-ficton piece, I'd appreciate it if you looked at it. It'll be in the forms. And i'm sorry that it's so long. I think you might enjoy it

madmadie22 BRONZE, Wichita, Kansas

"It is quite unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person proving you wrong is proving himself wrongly right. Right?" Lemony Snicket, The Reptile Room

Awww!  I hate when parents act like this!  Why don't you try talking to your dad about how you feel?  DONT GO BULEMIC!!! THAT IS A BIG, WHOPPIN NO NO NO!!!  Exercise is good.  :)