Crash! | Teen Ink

Crash!

By McCoy13 BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina
McCoy13 BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

When I was twelve years old, I broke my foot. My mom and I were on our way to the doctor to get my cast off. We just bought a brand new 2008 minivan. We dropped off my siblings and were on our way. I was leaning against the car seat that was beside me, when we stopped at the red light. I was dosing off. The last thing I saw before my eyes closed was the light turn green. Then in a blink of an eye I felt excruciating pain. An F150 ran a red light and hit us. The people behind us said that we went in two complete circles. All four tires were popped, the passenger seat was in my mom’s lap, the windows were shattered, all the doors came off, and the door handle shot off and hit me in the side. I got knocked out from my head hitting the car seat.
When I woke up, I was inside of an ambulance. When we got to the hospital, they x-rayed my foot and it was broke in three places. So I waited six weeks so they could break it again. They said that if we wouldn’t have dropped off the kids at daycare, then they would have died. So the nurse guy left and the doctor came in and asked my mom to come outside that they needed to talk. So my mom came back in the room without the doctor, and I asked what he said. But she wouldn’t tell me. The next thing that I know these guys come in with a tray of tools. They said that they had to pop my hip back in place because it was dislocated. I started crying, I didn’t know what it meant, but it sounded painful. They plugged me up to an IV and gave me medication through that.
When I woke up, I moved and I was so sore. It felt like someone had shot me in the side. When the doctor came in, it was getting to feel a lot better. He told someone that they could come in. I thought that it was my dad. When I saw who it was, I wanted them to leave. It was the people who hit us. I wasn’t going to talk, so I let my mom do all the talking, until she didn’t answer my questions. As they were about to leave I asked, “How fast were you going?” The man said about 65mph. Well that question led to my next one “What in the hell were you thinking?” The man just left without saying anything. When they left, the door opened back up and a cop handed my mom a slip of paper. It was a ticket. We got a ticket for going when the light turned green. My mom told me to shut up and be happy we are safe.