Emotional | Teen Ink

Emotional

November 24, 2011
By Ashes_To_Ashes GOLD, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Ashes_To_Ashes GOLD, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
12 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to.

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.


My best friend (let’s call her Broken, for future reference), who I didn’t view as a cutter, is Emo. She asked me to promise, to swear, that I wouldn’t tell anyone. I promised to her, I swore to her, but this was breaking point. I’m going to start at the beginning though, for your benefit.
Broken, she’s always so full of life. She has so many guys after her, and she’s shattered all of their hearts. One week, she’s in love, the next, she has a new boyfriend. I’ve told her how people see her, how they talk about her. She said it didn’t bother her. I said okay, and tried not to bring it up again.
One day I’m texting Broken, and I bring up my friend, who believed he was Emo. I usually refer to him as my not-Emo-Emo-friend. Broken, she asked me if he cut. I said no and asked why. She didn’t want to tell me. Eventually I forced it out of her. She told me she cut, and she wanted to talk to someone about it. I was with another friend at the time, and couldn’t pay much attention to this, because she didn’t want anyone to know.
Later that night, I texted her and asked about it. Broken was like “Yeah, I said that . . . If I didn’t cut I wouldn’t be here haha.”
We had a long conversation. Me saying “You need help” and her saying “I don’t need help, please don’t get me help.” I told her I was going to get her help, and she threatened to kill herself. I broke out in tears, not sure if she was serious or not. I told my friend, call her Libra, about this and asked her to come to the school counselors. Libra agreed.
Shortly after I told Libra all this, Broken promised to tell someone. A few messages later, I found out Broken had no intention of telling anyone. I decided I was going to the counselors, whether Broken wanted me to or not. I was tired and worried; it was one AM by now. I gave Broken a website and told her it was a good website, helpful, that it helped me when I was in need. Broken agreed to check it out and decided she liked the website enough to make an account.
The subject changed after that. We didn’t speak about Broken cutting. I changed my signature to EmoJustGotWorse. People who asked got a short story (my friend’s a cutter) and dropped the subject. I’m waiting for the day when Broken finally breaks and ruins her life, her family’s life, and her close friends’ lives.
When someone cuts, don’t ignore it. Get them help, it may save a life.


The author's comments:
Emo's hide everything very well, sometimes you might have to trick them into talking.