My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

My mom is a hero is my life because she’s not just a regular mom, she may seem like one but on the inside she’s fighting something not many people could handle as well as she does. My mom is such an inspiration to me because she has Multiple Sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis is an often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system, which is made up of the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. Symptoms may be mild, such as numbness in the limbs, or severe, such as paralysis or loss of vision. The symptom my mom usually gets it when the left side of her body foes numb, when this happens she has trouble physically moving.

My mom is a second grade teacher in Brentwood. When MS symptoms kick in she doesn’t call in sick for work, she pushes herself to get there and have a successful say, She may have MS but you would never know it by the way she handles it. She is involved in so many things to support her three kids. My mom doesn’t miss a beat, she comes to support my brother, sister and I in everything we do. I will never forget the time she supported me and helped me get through a time I couldn’t get through alone. She gave me the hope I needed; I was at the eye doctor for a regular monthly check-up. I go in every month because I have a freckle in my eye and they have to track its growth. Each time I go it’s a normal visit. The put two sets of eye drops in each eye to dilate my eye and brighten the freckle, next they look at it, take pictures, and then I wait about ten minutes.
They come out and say, “We didn’t see any sudden growth we should worry about come again next month and have a great day!” But this time when they came out they said, “You're going to be here for a little longer we have to check this out, it may be bad.” I got so nervous I didn’t know what was going to happen. My mom was calming me down but the one thing she said that changed my perspective on life was a quote. My mom being a teacher and her favorite subject English always gives us life lessons through quotes and such, “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” She said to me. I sat there and thought this through my mom was one of the happiest people I knew in life and she had MS, which is an everyday struggle but that just makes her who she is. I went back into the room. They took seven new eye tests each one feeling like a year. I kept trying to think to myself everything was going to be fine, they told me they saw sudden growth in my freckle. I asked what could happen when it grows, they replied “Sweetheart, this is hard to understand but the growth of your freckle can lead to you going blind in your left eye.” I looked up at them startled and scared! Not knowing what to think I looked at my mom with a bright smile on her face I took everything in and sat there calmly. The doctors were all mumbling over each other and the tension in the room became intense. They came to the conclusion that my freckle was growing to slow to make my go blind but they have to keep a very close look on it from now on.

My mom being a confident and positive individual gave me the strength to fight life’s challenges. I am so thankful and appreciative for everything I get and for the happy family I have today. My mom being a person with MS not only supports things for her disease but walks to sure every disease out there. She showed me and many others that no matter what life throws at you threes always an opportunity to have fun. This right here is my role model, my mom. Hope we find a cure!