Never and Always | Teen Ink

Never and Always

By akstory GOLD, West Palm Beach, Florida
akstory GOLD, West Palm Beach, Florida

It is our choices . . . that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
~ J. K. Rowling

They ask me, “Why?” as if I’m doing it on my own accord. They ask me, “When?” as if they’ll be counting down the days. They tell me, “Don’t go!” as if I can control it. They say they’ll miss me, as if I’ll actually be on their minds once I’m not standing right in front of them. They say they’ll always remember me, as if they won’t find a replacement for me. Well I know I’ll never replace a single one of them; I’ll never forget the memories we have. Even if they forget, they’ll always be etched into my mind as the people who’ve filled the last ten years of my life.

The time in kindergarten, when Alex made me move my clip from green to yellow because she was talking to me! That was the only time in all of elementary school I ever had to do that… Yeah, Alex—I’m gonna remember you.

I can turn to her for anything. Whether it’s that impossible science project, or a question about what to wear to school that day, she’s always the first one I call. Nikita has always been there for me in whatever I need, and it’s a good thing they invented cell phones… Because without being able to talk to her, life would be a lot harder.

That day in 3rd grade when Gage wrote me a note saying he wanted to marry me. Well, Gage—I was extremely creeped out back then, but now, I still remember you.

My first dance competition with the Majestics Dance Team, even though I stood in the very last row, I had the time of my life with those girls. I’ve loved every practice, competition, and minute spent with my dance team, and I’ll never forget the 7 years I danced with them.

The two creepers I met during school—Victor and Tony. Sometimes, I wish they hadn’t been so repulsive. But at the end of the day, their distgustingness is the reason it’s impossible for me to forget those two boys.

Our first sleepover… From that moment on we were inseparable. Emily and I had the best times together, and even though I know we’ll both find new best friends, our times together will always unite us.

The three-hour long Skype calls about the next day’s algebra quiz, these became the norm for us. Stressing about school was how Becky and I bonded; we called them tragedies, the world called them 8th graders being drama queens about getting a B. It’s not the same day at school without her, and she’ll always be on my mind when school gets to my head.

My choir buddies: Abby, Sarah, and Jahnvi We always complained about sight-reading and singing “doe, a deer” over and over again. But we’ll always share that happiness on stage at region choir, or at UIL. I’ll never get to sing with you again, but when I sing, I’ll be thinking of you.

In the end, the truth is, I’m moving. I can’t do anything about it. The reason is totally out of my control. Does it really matter when? All I can tell you is that it’ll be soon, and then I just won’t be here anymore. If you miss me, I’m just a phone call away. If you don’t want to replace me, then don’t. I’m still gonna be alive, nothing more than my address is changing. The exact 1,150 miles between us doesn’t change who we are or the relationship that we have. So, I’ll never get to see you again, but I can promise you that I will always remember you.

This piece is all the emotions I felt the few weeks before I moved from a place I'd lived for 10 years to a place I'd never been in my life. Now that I've adjusted, I put everything I had felt into about 600 words. I'm sure many others have similar feelings when they move, but of course not the same names and experiences. I miss all of this so much, but no matter where I am on earth, I'll always remember them.

thenewgirl said...
You made me feel like I was in your shoes... Every person you mentioned, I found an example for them in my life and the work you did on this is responsible for putting a big smile on my face. Thank you :)

TroyD said...
I liked the idea of the story and the structure. You framed the memories nicely with the current reflections in the first and last paragraph. I think you could have tried a different writing technique for the memories though because there are so many of them and it seems to lose some momentum. Maybe try starting with paragraphs like you have and then gradually have them start getting shorter and shorter memories to give the reader a feel like they are coming to your mind faster and faster. This would help add some intensity to the piece and add some emphasis to the conclusion where you suddenly stop and go to thoughtful reflection. You have some excellent inspirations for writing and clearly have talent and passion for what you do.

DanielM SILVER said...
DanielM SILVER, Kent, Washington

"I would rather hated million times for what i did then loved a million times for what i didn't do." - Daniel Moto
" I've sought out to be the best i could posibly be but when i hit a roadblock in life what did i do, i had two choices either stay at the roadblock or i take this roadblock and make of it and go around it and achieve my goal. So, what will it be?"- Daniel Mathia

"People take love like its a four letter word or just a phrase that you tell people or your friends all the time. But in reality love is much bigger than a merely phrase or 4 letter word. Instead love is a genuine promise or covenant to that special person."-Daniel Mathia

“Why change yourself when you were made perfect and wonderfully by the creator of everything?” – Daniel Mathia

“If live is not hurtin then were really not living in.” – B. Reith

Mhm....i liked it alot it had this intersting feel to it. Great job!! Well written. only suggestion maybe for the lines space them out a little bit. other that it was awesome