Out from Under the Car | Teen Ink

Out from Under the Car

November 16, 2012
By Anonymous

I’m playing basketball in my neighborhood just as the ball went through the net when I saw it a grey spotted cat with a black stripe down its back I thought it was one of those feral cats. I did what I thought was right run away as fast as a puma.

I told my Mom that feral cat was coming out from under the car to scratch me. My mom told me to take her to the cat and I did. It was still sitting in a drive way waiting for me.

My mom said, “It must be the neighbors.”

Then I said, “It could be.”

Then we knocked on the door and my neighbor comes out and we ask if the cat was hers.

She said, “No. But, I have been taking care of him since May. I call him Felix because he is very nice and he follows you when doing yard work. And it’s getting near fall and winter I want to find the owner or a good home.”

We searched for the owner, but no one claimed him. So my mom started thinking what to do with Felix, because my dad dislikes cats and my mom loves cats. I told my dad to let my mom keep him because I know how much my mom wanted that cat. So I tempted him to a carrier with a can of tuna and drove to the vet.

In the middle of the car ride he started hyperventilating, and I had to calm him down and I said in a calm voice, “Felix everything is to be ok.” When we got to Pets Smart and the nurse took his weight and took us to the room where we found out he is a boy and not a girl. The nurse checked him for a micro chips and confirmed he was a boy and took him for his shots and cleaning. When she came back she said he was very clean and had no infections at, all and he was allowed to come in the house. And when we rode back and Felix sat in my lap and was sleeping. So I started petting him and he felt like a super soft blanket.

When we got back we took him inside and I took out his favorite toy and played with him, and he was tired out so I put his favorite blanket on the old chair in the office and he climbed up and slept the whole day. He woke up at 8 and meowed me out of bed, and I fed him his favorite meal, tuna and gravy. From then on we tried new things with Felix like catnip and Felix went crazy and started running around a table like a crazed dog chasing nothing, He tried turkey on Thanksgiving and he loved every bite, and chicken on Christmas.

He wanted more after that but my mom said, “No Felix! You had one piece and that’s enough, now eat your crunchy food.”

And he did eat his dry food. I hope my cat will remain my favorite pet cat. And I also hope he will never want to leave us for some other owner. After we adopted Felix I learned a lesson from that and a good one to never judge a book by its cover and never give Felix cat nip ever again!