Cracked Cookie Cutters | Teen Ink

Cracked Cookie Cutters

December 13, 2012
By ashkellner BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
ashkellner BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Most schools students fall under certain stereotypes; preppy popular cheerleaders, jerky jocks, head-in-the-clouds hipsters, and other groups. Not my school. The nerds aren’t so much mocked as celebrated in our school environment.
Most kids either don’t fit into any stereotypes, or they fit into multiple groups. There are drama kids who play soccer, singers who are cheerleaders. This can cause conflicts with the multiple interests of students. The club instructors are upset that their members have to miss because of prior engagements, which only leads to complaining, bickering, and backing down on one side. This is difficult to deal with, especially when the student is forced into a decision of which they will keep doing, which is pretty much impossible. It is like trying to make a parent choose their favorite child. You just can’t do it.
The status quo is completely different too. You’d think the top class would be cheerleaders and jocks, while in reality, it’s just full of regular people cruel enough to climb their way to the top. No one cares what you do extracurricular-wise when you’re up there with “the big-timers”. I think in actuality, the people who are accepted got it in their heads they were, so other people started believing it too. What if that’s the secret to being popular? This could be seriously disappointing to people who want to be popular, but can’t seem to sway their classmates to be in their favor.
These popular people need to realize they aren’t any better than anyone else. They need to stop acting so big headed. They should get off their high horses and stop being rude to people, just because the people will take it because they just want to fit in. Some people actually care. Some people don’t realize how much it kills them inside. Slowly, their self-esteem is chipping away.
Times are changing once again. The typical schools of previous years are disappearing. As if the dough was ice, freezing and expanding, the cookie cutter status quo is cracking and reforming itself into a new idea of how the popularity system works.