Love and Sunrises | Teen Ink

Love and Sunrises

January 8, 2013
By TARDISdriver PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
TARDISdriver PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
28 articles 2 photos 33 comments

A sunrise is an experience unlike any other. It can completely change your outlook on the world. You can be lost in the cold darkness of the early morning when all of a sudden the world brightens up. The crops in the field turn orange, the darkness is dissipated except for a few shadows, and a smile is seen on the face of those who are awake to experience it, or happen to feel the warmth even if they are still asleep. The beginning of a new day can change everything. Any fears or worries of the night are washed away by the light of the new sun.

I understand exactly how this can feel. I was in a dark place recently. It was only for a little while, but it was bad. The world seemed very frightening. I was putting unreasonable pressure and stress on myself and creating impossible expectations that I shouldn't have been so worried about at this point in my life. I happened to witness a sunrise on my way out the door this morning. A grin appeared on my face, unbidden. Happiness suddenly flowed through my veins again. I hadn't wanted it there and I didn't know why I started feeling better, but I did. It was a new day.

The point of a sunrise is that it erases the words we wrote yesterday and leaves spaces for new ones. We can rewrite the stories we put down. We can change the ending to our plot. Whenever it feels like it's all coming to an end and there's no way out, wake up and look at the sun as it rises. Feel the warmth on your skin. It will change you. It's inexplicable. I can hardly change these feelings into words and put them down on paper because it was just a feeling almost akin to divine presence. I saw the love in the world and knew that I had to keep on keeping on.

There was something else that woke me up and got me out of my sullen stupor. There was the love of other people. There was one person in particular and she is most of the reason why my happiness was stronger than my sadness. All it took was seeing her. I had to remember she was there, and remind myself of what it was like to be with her. Once I did that, my world was changed. I hugged her, and she reminded me that she was there and she loved me. And those simple words made me smile. Once you have a smile on your face, it's very easy to move forward from that point. All it might take is someone else smiling at you, and it becomes contagious. Maybe a hug, or an unexpected kiss could vanquish your own dark thoughts.

In short, the power of love is stronger than that of sadness.There is always the promise of a new day and there will always be someone who is concerned about you and wants everything to turn out better. No matter who it is, there is somebody there. They can reach out to you and fix your situation just by reminding you of their love. Love and sunrises can prevail over depression and darkness.


The author's comments:
This is something that I thought up this morning when I walked out my door to school. I kept retelling it in my head over and over until I could actually type it this afternoon, several hours later. I didn't want to lose it but I didn't have time to write it. The article sort of speaks for itself.