A Present Day Teen's Definition of Loneliness | Teen Ink

A Present Day Teen's Definition of Loneliness

This is a story about a teenage girl that had modern day loneliness, although many couldn’t see through her fake smile, the feelings she experienced were still very real.

Lilly is a 14 year old girl entering her freshman year in high school with a laundry list of self-esteem issues. All her life Lilly wasn’t society’s definition of beautiful or perfect, which is what introduced her to the feeling of loneliness. She was a bit overweight in everyone’s eyes and shy around new people, and was teased a good portion of her childhood, whether it being by kids at school, complete strangers, and even her family. Having problems and being made fun of at school is something most children go through at some point in life and being judged by strangers happens far too often and will unfortunately continue to happen but by your own family? Lilly was an only child, with the exception of her half-brother who she had only known as an infant. He was 3 years older, George, and he was from her father’s previous marriage. Lilly never had much of a relationship with her father even though she was the child that was able to live with him unlike George. During Lilly’s entire childhood she got an “I Love You” from her father a grand total of 4 times. Her mother, who was told she could never have children due to a car accident she was in when she was 7 years old. At age 34 miraculously became pregnant with Lilly. Her only child. As Lilly became older and was becoming a teenager her relationship with her dad worsened, as it did with her mother. The damage was evident and she felt very alone. Lilly was the type of person who wanted to be in a relationship and fall in love with someone. That is the one thing she wanted to experience in her life time.

Nathan is a popular guy at school; he is active in all the sports going on, he has a mass amount of friends. He’s got girls that have been with him and girls that wished for a chance with him. Lilly was one of them that longed for a chance with him. Compared to all the other girls Nathan had ever been with, Lilly was probably the least popular, and definitely wouldn’t be everyone’s first choice but for some reason Nathan befriended Lilly. Nathan gave Lilly attention she had desired for so long, she felt loved and wanted by another human being. She fell in love with Nathan. Everything revolved around this boy, her life, her clothes, her thoughts, and her timed consumed with Nathan.

By the time sophomore year began Nathan had gotten what he wanted from her and she was put back in the state of being alone, more alone and lonely than she was before him. Lilly still attends class and socializes with her small and specific group of friends when she meets Harry. Harry and Lilly immediately hit it off and were best friends in not time, little did she know she has met the person she will love for the rest of her life.

Harry came from a family where he had two siblings, an older brother and sister. Harry was the one of the three who was rarely the topic in the family discussions. His sister was pregnant, and his brother was amazing at everything and doing well for his self in college. Harry’s real father isn’t in the picture, and his mother is with a man that hates Harry. While Harry was growing up his step-father would always want Harry to be sent away. Harry came from a very low, very lonely place. So low at one point he became dependent on a pain medication. Harry was in complete solitude. He kept to his self and spent his time taking things apart and putting them back together, and his stereo, that was his prized possession. When you rode in his care he wanted you to feel the bass deep In your body to where your body is rattled by the bass. It was truly amazing. Harry becomes a part of this unique groups of friends when he met Lilly, they have cliqued with each other ever since, and everyone knew it. Both Lilly and Harry’s lives were lonely before they met, they are truly blessed to have found each other because now they have someone to talk to and be there with them 100% of the time.

After high school they date and continue to improve their friendship. It’s strange how loneliness can bring people together. Today, they are much more than friends, they are married and truly happy. Neither of them have felt lonely since the day they met in high school.

Some people have different ideas of loneliness. I believe that one form is the absence of a significant other, in the story that is the one thing that brings her down and without that person, she felt more alone. Another form of teenage loneliness could be lack of friends. Everyone needs a friend to confide in and someone to talk to, this alone could cause loneliness. Loneliness is a real and serious thing.

An assignment for my English class.