Deception | Teen Ink

Deception

By Gabriela.1999 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
Gabriela.1999 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

Is life just one big facade?

Teenagers smiling wide grins, complimenting their friends while scrutinizing them in their minds.

Businessmen wearing suits and fancy ties to have lunch with a potential client when they'd much rather wear a T-shirt and cargo shorts and discuss matters over a beer.

Authors and poets writing with words so large and alien that they don't even know how to pronounce them.

Billboards with beautiful, happy women, when in reality most are actually miserable, gaunt girls with Photoshopped rib cages and purple bags beneath their eyes.

I could add to this list until I ran out of room, but even then I wouldn't be finished.

We live in a world that hides a grain of truth beneath a mountain of lies. It's come to the point where we've given up on seeking for that parcel of honesty and have simply accepted the falsities as fact. It's disorienting really.

For those who refuse to believe such fabrications, the Earth is absolutely daunting. For there is no knowing what man will do when one refutes his conviction.

Thank you! :D

for-you-i-swoon BRONZE, San Francisco, California

"Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." --Nelson Mandela

Wow, the way you've articulated the immense degree of falsity that exists in day-to-day life is amazing...I am so stunned with the way that you've so summed up something so crucial, and with such eloquence. Well done, this piece is really great!