The Day My Dad Had A Seizure | Teen Ink

The Day My Dad Had A Seizure

It was the day before my tenth birthday. I was watching TV upstairs, and my sister was getting her hair done. My mom was in the kitchen, and my dad was sleeping on the couch. I was about to go downstairs until my mom told me not to. I went down anyway. When I got half way down, I heard my sister screaming. My dad had a seizure. My sister saw my dad jump up from the couch and his eyes looked like they were going to pop out his head. He landed on the floor and white foamy stuff came out of his mouth. My mom tried waking him up but nothing happened. She called 911 and I had to get my aunt. She called my grandma and she called two of my other aunts. They all came over and tried to wake him up. My dad’s friend came over and tried too. Then I heard an ambulance. They came and told everyone to go in the kitchen so they can put him on the stretcher. He got to the ambulance and didn’t remember anyone. The ambulance people told my mom if they came any later, he would have died. They also told my mom that when people reach fifty, things like this happen. He came home two days later. We didn’t stay, we went with my mom. When he came home he asked what happened. I told him. He asked again 5 minutes later. After that, my dad had seizures almost every month. He hasn’t had any seizures lately.

His last seizure was about 2 years ago. My sister and me were supposed to go somewhere so we called him. He didn’t answer. I went to his house and called his name. He didn’t answer. I went upstairs to his room and he was lying in bed. I called his name. I thought he was sleeping. He had a seizure. I called my mom and aunt. They came over. My mom called the ambulance and when they came, she told them where he was. They went upstairs to his room. Instead of a regular stretcher, they put him in one that was a chair. Then they left and he came home the next day. My mom asked her doctor how seizures could happen and the doctor said it’s when water gets in the brain. My dad almost had a seizure in Wal-mart. When my mom called him he said he was at the hospital. Then he called again 5 minutes later and said he was at Wal-Mart. My mom said he must not know where he is. Then he drove home. The doctor said he isn’t allowed to drive. My mom gets scared when my dad drives cause he makes it seem like he’s going to crash into something. My dad still drives. He goes to the hospital sometimes to get checked out. My dad no longer has seizures anymore.