Motivation | Teen Ink

Motivation

October 17, 2013
By JakeCsurgo30 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
JakeCsurgo30 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Society,

What is motivation? Motivation is the reasons one has for doing something, or the general desire and willingness of someone to do something. I carry motivation because it is what thrusts me to wake up every day and give my all. Whether it is school, golf, or being a successful person in life. Motivation is that one element of the mind that everyone can recede to, when they are feeling like they can’t go on anymore, or they’ve had enough of what they are doing. “I can do all things through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13). This statement alone has kept me fighting, and has given me the motivation to be better than just mediocre, but to rise above the occasion. Motivation makes people better than just mediocre, it makes them great.

The crisp sixty eight degree spring afternoon air filled the Legacy golf course on a sunny day with a pleasant atmosphere. A golfer’s dream one would call it, and perfect conditions to go with it. There was nothing in your way except the course and you, no worries. The motivation from the grueling off-season workouts had put me here, and I was ready for the high expectation season to come. I remember the clanging of the weights in the weight room, and the vivid voice of the coaches trying to get every last rep out of you. The every ball you hit at the range to better improve your swing and your rhythm, and the every putt you hit to get that smooth and silky touch to make that one putt you needed during the season. It had all come to this, the golf course. The place where the score matters. That motivation of getting to the State playoffs with team was the definite factor of keeping on. I made the choice to carry Motivation ultimately because it impels to make me better at what I do every day. Motivation demands me to be elite at all times.

Moving onward, some people believed Stephen Curry was too small to play the game at 6 ft. Some people thought that he could never compete in division 1, and some people said he would never be a true point guard in the NBA. As a senior in high school Stephen had only received one college offer to play basketball at Davidson college. He had proved the haters wrong after the first season by averaging 21.5 points per game and 2.8 assists. But after his sophomore year he had made an image for himself by making a historic run to the elite eight in the NCAA tournament. He later on got drafted by the Golden State Warriors with the 7th pick in the NBA draft. He is my hero and someone I look up to because his motivations to beat the odds were great, and he did not only beat the odds he crushed them.

Every day I go out to the golf course to do my normal routine practice on an average partly cloudy 64 degree morning. I think to myself I have got to be better than just average, I have got to be great at whatever I do. If I did not make the choice to carry motivation with me I would not be where I am right now, because motivation has fueled and is fueling me to do what I do every day. Assuredly, motivation does make people better than just mediocre, it makes them great.


Yours Truly,


Jake C.