Trust in Your Training | Teen Ink

Trust in Your Training

March 31, 2014
By 18msmall BRONZE, Fanwood, New Jersey
18msmall BRONZE, Fanwood, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was a little girl, I have had a passion for swimming, and have engaged in it competitively for years. Like the allied troops were dedicated to their mission on D’Day, I am extremely dedicated to my sport. This past season, I aged up to the senior level. Not only was this nerve wracking because I was getting a new coach, training schedule, and new elements were being added to the physicality of the sport, but becoming a senior on my team meant that swimming was going to become an even bigger commitment in my life. I had heard stories of brutal practices that the older athletes had endured, and I was anxious to see if I would be able to handle the intense new workouts. However, I knew that if I trusted in my training and those around me, I would be successful in the new age group, as all of the other swimmers before me did. I think this mindset is similar to that the troops did when invading and liberating Europe from Nazi rule.

On June 6, 1944, also known as D’Day, the allied forces stormed the beaches of Normandy. Though every single man present was unsure of the outcome, those involved trusted in what they had prepared for, and remained calm, even in the face of the unknown. Everyone was looking out for each other, because they were more than troops; they were a family. Like these men, I also had to face the unknown but conquered it and was successful when I relied on my strengths and used what I had been taught. No one goes into the unknown unprepared; those who have success are just the ones who know how to use their skills, and those who are unsuccessful are those who disregard what they have been taught. The forces all knew how to complete their mission effectively, which is why they were successful. Additionally, they relied on each other and helped each other out when they could, like my teammates and I help each other at stressful meets and grueling practices.

Regardless, success is not without sacrifice. On D'Day, more than ten thousand American men and allies died fighting for freedom. Though the unknown can hold greatness, it can also accompany hardship, like those the men at D’Day faced. I understand the sacrifice that must be made in order to reach success because once this season at practice, I pushed so hard that I had to be rushed to the emergency room after because I couldn’t breathe and wasn’t getting enough oxygen. However, I recovered and ended up having a successful season in the pool because of my dedication.

All in all, in order to be successful in the face of the unknown, one must trust in their training, like I did in my age group in swimming, and the troops at D’Day did when acting as the liberators of Europe from Nazi rule.


The author's comments:
Those who died during D'Day should always be remembered and honored. They sacrificed themselves for people they had never met. They dedicated years of their lives preparing, and that was why they were successful. However, the glory was not without sacrifice.