School Uniforms | Teen Ink

School Uniforms

By BrIanna.O BRONZE, Deming, New Mexico
BrIanna.O BRONZE, Deming, New Mexico

"If nobody comes from the future to stop you, how bad of an idea can it be?"

Many schools are considering the idea of adapting a required school uniform to their students. The question is: should schools be able to enforce such a policy to their students? Statistics show that already 23% of schools have adapted to enforcing school uniforms to their school. They should consider student safety and how it would improve their schools reputation. Every school should consider the effect these uniforms will bring to their school. Bad or good, uniforms are going to be enforced, and it shouldn’t be seen as a problem. There are many ways uniforms can improve schools worldwide.

I agree that schools should enforce uniforms. Others may not agree with such an idea but it is a debatable topic and depends on the schools choice not ours. Safety is a caution to every school. In every school, students are their number one priority. Uniforms will keep students safer and easier to identify among others-including other students, criminals, trespassers, etc. In long beach, California, the students there are required to wear uniform. Their crime rate went down 91% just by identification.

Not only would school uniforms would be a matter of safety but it would approve school dress code. Bullying and gangs among other things occur when schools do not have an enforced uniform. Students are often picked on for their clothing. They are also categorized just by what they wear. With a school uniform policy, bullying would be lower now that everyone dresses the same. In public and private schools, their bullying went down by 95%, just by enforcing a required uniform. Every school has a dress code, but how many of their students even follow it? With uniforms, there won’t be a need to get on to students to dress approximately.

Uniforms would also provide a sense of belonging. The reason for this is because not only would the student have to wear the uniform, but every other student in the school along with them. Which also stops bullying from happening now that students don’t have to dress to impress others. Not every student can’t get the latest fashion, with uniforms, everyone will have the same outfit. A survey taken by schools with their students wearing uniforms, 89.5% said that gangs and other groups went down. Uniforms may be a way of stopping bullying and gangs from happening.

Although uniforms might not be the best for every student, it’ll help parents save money. With 75% of students wanting to have the season’s trend, parents spend around thousands just for them. Not to mention, the money it’ll save them just by having students wear the same outfit during school. Why spend over a thousand dollars for an outfit probably only going to be worn once, when you can have a uniform every year? Most parents would agree that uniforms would be for the best, not just for their child, but for themselves also.

Despite the negativity against uniforms, the results of it can conduct a great outcome. If a simple uniform can add a sense of safety to schools, then they should go for it. Uniforms can also give your school a better reputation. Schools with uniforms, showed 91% of a better school grade. Every school aims for its best school grade, uniforms would bring that up. The dress code will also be met by every student, and no need to get on every student when they do not dress accordingly.

Therefore, uniforms should be enforced. Not for administrative to get hated on by students because of it, but for their safety and the feelings of students. The problems it’ll solve, like bullying, for example. The money it’ll save parents each year, and let’s not forget the safety it will bring now that students can be told apart from intruders, trespassers and other unwelcome people. We can do this by enforcing uniforms, try out how it will result, and if all goes perfectly, uniforms will be enforced.