My Favorite Experience | Teen Ink

My Favorite Experience

By Braeden Schneider BRONZE, NorthRichlandHills, Texas
Braeden Schneider BRONZE, NorthRichlandHills, Texas

One time when I was at our deer lease and I shot my first deer. It was really cool because I kept the gun steady this time. The other time I was going to shoot the deer and I did everything my dad said to do and I pulled the trigger and the gun. When I did that I only shot it in the leg and their was no blood. This was probably the deer I shot in the leg before but I couldn’t tell.

When we saw this doe (female deer) I started to line up the gun with the heart and it took me a while to line it up but when I did I pulled the trigger and BAM! The deer took off running but it didn’t go too far it went about 15 yards then it laid down in the field. Then we waited and waited for a couple of minutes then all of the sudden a buck just comes out of nowhere and starts to chase the other female deer that were next to the deer I shot.

My dad said to my stepbrother “those deer will be going to the fence and hop it so watch it okay” my stepbrother said “okay.” The deer hopped the fence and they were looking at him and they went off into the woods. I and my dad where wondering why he didn’t shoot and we soon figured out that he was watching the trees instead of the fence. My dad and my stepbrother walked back to the blind and we got my deer onto the four-wheeler.

When we got back to the camper we went up to the house and hanged the deer by its front legs and gutted it. Then after that mess we took the deer to the packing house and got the meat out and we had the meat for dinner and it was good. It makes me want to hunt more often and pack more meat.