Does the 5 Second Rule Really Work? | Teen Ink

Does the 5 Second Rule Really Work?

By Naomi Rosales BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Naomi Rosales BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Con

No, the 5 second rule doesn’t work

Whether the 5 second rule works or not, it is still bad because there are a lot of bacteria that can spread diseases and viruses easily. To avoid diseases, people should make good choices about if they should eat food off the ground. Food on the ground can make people sick, even if they pick it up even faster. There are also more bacteria on hard floors than on carpets. Scientists have proven that moist food will pick up more bacteria than dry food, especially when it stays on the floor even longer. Thousands of people get food poisoning from eating food that just hit the floor, even if food stayed on the ground for just 3 seconds. Bacteria can live on all surfaces even if others think it looks clean. Bacteria can spread and make people sick, especially when food is dropped on the floor and people choose to eat it. Due to the problems caused by bacteria, the 5 second rule doesn’t really work.

Pro

Yes, The 5 second rule does work

The five second rule does work. It won’t get people sick if they pick it up faster. If others pick the food up, they can just swipe the dirt away. A little dirt won’t harm anyone. There would be less bacteria when food is dropped on carpets than on floors. Eating dry food that has just hit the floor is much better that moist food. Also, with different floorings such as carpets, laminate, and tiles, people can decide if the food is okay to eat or not. Eating food that has just hit the ground for less than 5 seconds is better than wasting it. Other people say that it’s better to risk little diseases than to waste food. People waste over 33,000,000 pieces of food each year in America. Consider foods wasted from other countries, where there are billions of people starving and can’t afford to eat, especially homeless people. Researchers have tested and proven that 5 second rule does work.