Ready Or Not: 15 Year Old Girl Thoughts | Teen Ink

Ready Or Not: 15 Year Old Girl Thoughts

Dear Reader,

As a little girl, I felt like I was ready for everything. Throw something my way-

- I can take it, no worries. Galloping down the beach on a horse, reading all four 

Twilight books within one month (I did it! —easiest read ever), trying chicken feet 

or snails. I loved to talk. Talking was practically all I did, all the time, or screaming 

when I wasn’t allowed to do something, or dancing. Jumping was a great pastime of 

mine. I was that eight year old who could walk up to you, greet you in three different 

languages, tell you her name, and then proceed to remain at your side and annoy 

you with questions for the rest of the night. But the thing is, you wouldn’t mind. 

You’d probably be amused by my childish anecdotes or mature perspective on why 

the Red Sox are better than the Yankees and/or why I wanted to go to Princeton. I’d 

already done the research and everything, and by the time I was nine, I was able to 

tell you my life plan: Do really well on my SATs, go to Princeton and study at the 

Lewis Centre of Arts but also major in Creative Writing, write great young adult 

novels, be a really successful actress, win Oscars, work with refugees, marry 

someone rich and attractive and caring have life changing experiences, and then 

later run for president (and win, obviously). 

But now, at fifteen, I couldn’t be less sure of what I want, or if I’m ready for 

anything. I can only hope that I study hard enough to do well on my SATs, and I’d 

love to go to Princeton, but only if I can get in. Now I dance more than I act, but I still 

have a dream of being famous for my talents. The only thing is, I see all these stars 

being patronized just for gaining five pounds, or not washing their hair, or going out 

in sweatpants. Am I even remotely ready for that? That feels like a life changing 

experience. Am I ready to have a life changing experience? Am I in the middle of 

having a life changing experience?

You see my predicament. 

The thing is, if I’m so worried about whether I’m ready for life’s big 

experiences, but how do I know if I’m ready for the teenage ones, like peer pressure, 

or relationships with boys, or even just feeling completely comfortable with who I 

am? How do I know if I’m mature enough? This is a lot for me to process. But what I 

realized help me answer that question.

I have a close family friend named Kate. We’ve known each other for a really 

long time, and she’s a sweet and caring girl. She’s also been through a rough time 

lately, and has taken comfort in talking to me, or just hanging out. She had some 

trouble with friends, as had I, and had also had some self-image problems. This, I do 

not think is wrong, because she’s a teenager of course. But I can tell you; it’s really 

hard to help someone recovering from depression and anorexia nervosa. There 

were nights when Kate would call me in tears about something I didn’t know how to 

fix, or even respond to. Or there were times when she was having a really great day, 

you know, loving her outfit or how her body looked, and that was the topic of the 

day. I’d’ think wow; maybe I should look like her. Or, how does she stay so healthy, 

and how can I be that healthy? There were even some times when I felt really low 

about myself compared to her and contemplated trying to binge and purge, or 

whatever it’s called. But five minutes later I’d feel stupid for thinking that and I’d 

chow down some mango. 

As time passed, Kate started feeling much better about herself, which I was 

proud of. I felt like I had been a small part in her recovery; even her mom was happy 

she had someone who could really be there for her. I felt an overflowing sensation of 

joy and goodness. And when she was courted (so to speak) by an older boy, I 

couldn’t help but feel happy for her, even if I was a bit jealous. As we spent nights 

picking out outfits for that special time with her special guy, I wondered why boys 

didn’t like me the way they liked her. I listened as she gave me the details of their 

meetings, full of things that were seemingly romantic, and I asked her if she liked 

him. She simply replied: “I don’t think so, but he’s nice.” I didn’t understand that. If 

she spent all that time with him, how did she have no feelings for him? And as other 

people found out about them, she used it to her advantage, until she talked about it 

so much that my ears were on the verge of exploding. 

I know, I sound like a complete b****. But I just didn’t really believe in the 

way she was handling the situation, and of course I couldn’t convey that because I’m 

supposed to be there for her, and I thought she still seemed fragile. 

After a while, Kate got bored of Older Boy, and started seeing a boy her own 

age who had flirted with her since the beginning of time. For the next month or so, 

all I heard about was 

a. Whether she should go back to seeing Older Boy 

b. The great time she had with Boy-Her-Age. 

It’s funny that this topic seemed so casual, so trivial to her, while I couldn’t even 

wrap my head around one boy, let alone two. Just a month before this she was 

telling me how unsure of her future she was, and now all there was to think about 

were the idea of parties and boys. I thought about the same things plenty, but should 

I have been partaking in the same activities, just because she was doing it? I thought 

that Kate’s feelings were normal, she’s a freshman in high school and it’s normal to 

think about parties AND kissing boys. The problem was that she believed this made 

her mature, and I didn’t quite know what made people mature, so I believed it too.

And then a while ago, she decided to take another step (or a BIG leap) with Boy-Her-

Age, after having kissed him twice, and I was utterly confused. It was fun, she said, it 

was fine. But she didn’t feel like dating him, and wasn’t in love with him. 

Until the other night, I wanted to do the same thing she did, because I 

thought I’d be more mature, or I wanted to rip her hair out because I was so sick 

of hearing about it. For a while I just thought that she was using her experiences 

with boys and the idea of parties to feel better about herself. She was completely 

different from when I first met her. I’m not saying what Kate did was wrong; it’s for 

her to decide how she enjoys her sexuality, or her entire her life for that matter. And 

if she thinks she’s ready to experience big things, then I guess she’s ready. But that 

doesn’t mean I have to be. 

What I truly realized is that it is okay to move at my own pace. I don’t want to 

go around kissing boys if I don’t like them, and that’s okay. It’s okay to be different, 

and to not do things just because your best friend is doing them, or because people 

think it’s the norm. I don’t believe I was born to do things the way people expect 

one to. So maybe I don’t want to be famous yet, because I’m not ready to be judged 

for being different. I don’t know when I’ll be ready to have sex, or fall in love, to feel 

comfortable with who I am completely or feel comfortable with a lot of other people. 

And to be real, I’m not positive that I’ll live the life I dreamed up as a younger girl. 

Because, when I was nine, I didn’t really know about all this teenage stuff. And as a 

fifteen year old, I don’t think I know enough yet either. 

To conclude, I want to ask myself a few deep philosophical questions:

Am I ready to think about college? Maybe not, but it’s fun to look at the 

websites. 

Am I ready for my Physics quiz next week? Absolutely not...

Am I ready to have life changing experiences? Definitely. But I have to figure 

out what they are first.

Am I much more mature now that I’ve written this? Not really, but what I’ve 

realized is that I’m mature enough to make my own decisions on a number of things, 

and I’ve decided that I really just don’t want to grow up very quickly. I’m not ready 

for that. 

And to my dear friend Kate, thanks for helping me out here. I love you, even if 

I don’t always agree with you.

Love,

Greer

This is by far one of my favorite pieces that I've ever done.