Different | Teen Ink

Different

By Who Me BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
Who Me BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

Have your ever been laughed at. Or teased/made fun of because of what middle school you went to. Well that was me too but through all of that the school taught me right from wrong. The school I went to taught me you don’t need people in your life that were going to bring you down and not make you a better you then yesterday’s you. The school I went too was a like second home.                                                                                                                                        The school I went to was very different to say the least. We were not like anyother school middle school because I went to an all boys school. Not only were we an all boys school but we had to wear uniforms. We had too wear purple button ups with khaki pants, dress shoes, and a tie. We as the students wore uniforms because they helped us ‘achieve far greater levels of learning in an environment of behavioral excellence.’                             

Also we have values and goals which were called the “REAL” Values. The reason they were called that was because they stand for Respect and Responsibility,Excellence in Behavior,Academic Mastery,and Leadership. This school taught me how important college really is and that I can’t slack because I’m on track for greatness. But my friends and people saw me on the streets they would called me names and teased me because they went to a Co-ed school and its was only boys at my school. Even though that made me upset at times I remembered that they can crack all the jokes they want but all I know is my path to college is greater and wider than yours and im gonna be something in life because of the school I went to.                                           

There are a couple stereotypes that I faced leaving middle school such as I won’t graduate high school like many other African-American boys. And I will get distracted with my work ethic. But I am on track to graduate high school  not everything is right but I need to take steps once at a time and not rush anything. I’ve learned not to stress about life right now while I’m in school because this is supposed to be easiest time in life. I have matured and grown up but there are many more things I face with on a daily bases as a teenage African American boy watching other people do stuff such as violence, drugs,alcohol.                                                                      

No matter what happens in life I won’t forget or regret anything because I chose to do it but life as a scholar changed me. And I’m grateful for everything all my teachers and administrators have done for me in the past because I understand things more clearly and more advanced than others. Being a scholar has matured me and makes life more easy for me because I know I have what it takes to work harder than everyone else. They treated me like a son for 4 year and I won’t every forget it.And this is why I’m proud and glad to be a prestige Academy Scholar.