Young struggle | Teen Ink

Young struggle

By Brophy66 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Brophy66 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Have you ever wanted to try something really bad but had something standing in your way whether it was fear, a parent, or even judgement that was the barricade between you and accomplishment. Throughout life, you're going to be faced with all types of problems that are going to stand in between you and your goals. What you do to get beyond those unique restrictions is what defines who you are as a person.

I practically grew up on my bike when I was a kid, always riding around with my friends and even by myself. I was always working, adjusting, improving, and customizing my bike. I was addicted to the sense of accomplishment I would get after I finished my new modifications and would always take to the streets for hours afterwards. I would be all over town, hitting jumps, grinding rails, and even just riding around while enjoying the wind blowing through my hair. I was inseperable from my bike up until about a year ago when driving became more of a priority. Bikes are a passion that require practice and skill development. They can also be a fun alternative to walking that will hopefully develop beyond just a mode of transportation.

When I was a kid always on my bike, I would love going to the skatepark that was only around the block from my house. I was constantly being tempted to try new tricks on my bike by other bikers, my friends, and sometimes things I would see on the X-Game world tour. I would always be determined to keep trying the new trick until I had perfected it. I broke a lot of bones, had lots of cuts and bruises, sprains, and some internal injuries growing up from biking but it was still never enough to make me wanna quit biking. The question I get asked the most about my biking, usually by my doctors, is when do I think the limit will be reached for me? I honestly don't know the answer because the pain I feel from my injuries could'nt ever compare to the sense of accomplishment I get after perfecting a new trick that I've been working on for sometimes months at a time.

What I have learned from my experience as a bmx biker is that no amount of pain could separate you from what your passionate about. Everything I have been through since I first started pushing the limits beyond just riding my bike have taught me something valuable that I can use for the rest of my life. I may not be as big into biking as I use to be, but I still ride and do tricks with my bike. Even though I'm not as committed as I use to be to my bike, I still have the lesson imprinted in my head that no matter what happens, as long as your determined and not afraid to accomplish your goals, you can push the limits far beyond what you could imagine is possible.