As Life Goes On | Teen Ink

As Life Goes On

November 20, 2015
By Cecilia09 BRONZE, San Diego, California
Cecilia09 BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 Before I  tell you my story, let me just say that I am not the same Cecilia I was in the past. I am a whole different person. I changed for the better. I changed both mentally & physically. If you were to know me in the past, you'd be surprised to see how I am today.

 

First, I am going to be talking about my weight.  All my life I've been the weight I was comfortable with: until the age of 14. There are some reasons why I started to gain weight.  Since my mom is in the military, during 2nd semester of my freshman year we moved from San Diego to Oak Harbor Whidbey Island. When I went to my first day of school there in Washington, I LOVED IT. I made so many friends. Till this day I have my best friend Gregory who I met there. I had a lot of friends and made so many memories. Life was great. I experienced so many awesome beautiful amazing things. Moving from a big city to a little island is a big change. In Washington everything was literally green and always felt so fresh. I went hiking a lot,  explored the woods, went camping, and I got the chance to go off the island. To go off the island, you can either drive off of it over a bridge or you can take the ferry. I did both.  Overall, my experience in Washington was one of the greatest things. I am very grateful to have had the chance to live there.

 

Despite these good things, when I moved there I got very depressed. Why?   Because moving from a city to an island is a big difference and very hard to adjust to. When I got depressed, I started to eat a lot and never wanted to move around, be active, or stay busy. All I would do is eat & be lazy.   After a few months passed,  I started to notice the weight. Every time I would look in the mirror, it would upset me so much because of the way I was looking. My clothes were not looking as they usually do, and  my face was getting chubbier.

 

My favorite chips are Hot Cheetos, and I started to then think that those Hot Cheetos were part of the reason why I was gaining weight.   Honestly, I would eat them all the time! Which was not good, because, well, those are very bad for you either way.   Even though back then I didn't understand the difference between moving from a big city and adjusting to it was hard , i blamed all my depression on why i gained weight. I felt like eating unhealthy was the way to go but it was not really good because it made me feel a type where i wish i didn't. My looks were not looking right. I then was ready for a change. Ready to change for the better of myself.  I promised myself that I would not eat any more Hot Cheetos or other foods that were unhealthy.  And I promised to work it off.

 

So, I told my mom every time she would go to the store to not buy NO MORE Hot Cheetos and to start buying healthier food.  Mom brought home  lettuce and fruits.  I set a routine each day to eat specific foods.  For example, in the mornings I had oatmeal.  Lunch was a sandwich.  Dinner was whatever was making, but I made sure I only had a certain amount on the plate.   

 

At the same time I saved up money so I could buy myself a gym membership.  I signed up at big gym called Thrive.  It was clean, organized, and easy to access things.  All the hard work, dedication, and commitment eventually paid off.  I am now very happy with myself.  To do what you want to do & be who you want to be,  you have to be committed and never give up. I had faith in myself and knew I could do it.   Every time I eat something, when I go to the gym I work at harder for what I ate so I can maintain my weight. So far, I am doing good.  Sometimes I slack off and get lazy to go to the gym.  My mom's boyfriend is the person that I go to the gym with and when I am not feeling it, he is who motivates me not to not quit! He pushes me hard & I actually like that because it gives me motivation to strive harder and close in on my goal.  Honestly, there are days where I would be so lazy, I wouldn't want to get out of bed .  He would force me out and tell  me, "Get up, baby.  It's Gym time !!! " Also , when I wouldn't get up, he would say little sayings like, "If you don't go now,  you will be a day further away from your goal, and you'll never get to it !"

 

On June 28 of 2015, my mom moved us back to San Diego due to her getting new orders to go to Japan.  But we can not go with her.  I am very sad for two reasons. 1: because my mom just left to Japan until Jan of 2017 . She left on the 8th of November. My mom and I are best friends, and it's going to be really hard without her.

 

2:  I wish I could go back to Washington because things were actually a lot better. But either way, I should be happy and grateful I have a roof over my head, food in my mouth, and clothes on my back. And I know my mom being gone is for the better to make us have a better life once she gets back. I hope the day comes faster.

 

3:  I have two sisters named Vivian & Samantha. They are both younger than me , and it 's really hard for them as well. They are heartbroken knowing my mom is not going to be coming home every night to us for 2 years. But we are strong, and we will get through this together. I love my sisters so much & will do anything in my power to be there for them whether my mom is here or not. Them and my Mother mean the world to me!

 

As a final point, even though i had mention in the beginning of my story that moving to Washington was a big change for me , & i was depressed and i did not want to be there i realized that i was actually happier and life was better in my eyes both Physically & Financially there, but i got to understand being a Military child is very difficult due to always having to move or my mom always gone, but eventually things will get better as time passes & it will make a difference in my Family's life's. To conclude: now that i am currently in San Diego , without my mom it is hard believe me but it makes My sisters & I stronger , and independent , and honestly makes us have a mind of a older person because we know our mother is not here at all times to be there for us when we need her.


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this is to show people that having a parent in the Military is a very hard thing to deal with & very hard for others to understand how i feel when i have to deal with not seeing my mom for a while due to her going out to sea (Deployment) , for about 6 months & max up to 10 months. Or also , it's hard moving place to place , because it gets tiring and makes you sad by moving away from new friends and having to make news one and adjusting to a new place , & school.