Unexpected love | Teen Ink

Unexpected love

By ibivens BRONZE, Mableton, Georgia
ibivens BRONZE, Mableton, Georgia

I fell in love with something I would’ve never thought would be something I'd keep around. Just your typical hyper nine-year-old needing to stay active, I played basketball just to play. When I heard there were going to be basketball tryouts for my boys and girls club, I decided to take the chance and play. It was all just to stay active. That was all I've ever wanted to do. From, there I played another season with my boys and girls club just to stay active.

Playing basketball to be active eventually changed into me being serious about the sport when I was about 12-years-old. It all changed when I played for the 6th grade South Cobb feeder team. We were good. In fact, we were very good. We made it all the way to the championship, and we won. That whole experience made me love the intensity, the responsibility, toughness, and comradery that comes with basketball. From there the sport has been a part of me.

I made basketball a priority in my life. Playing basketball was like a girlfriend to me. Like an actual girlfriend, I had to work hard to keep things good between basketball and me. Keeping things good between basketball and me, would be the same as me training to make sure I’m on top of my game. It was a process that took time and a lot of attention.

I took pride in playing basketball and everything that came with it. It taught me: responsibility, leadership, and how to work with others. The lessons it taught and the man it helped become is what got me to fall in love with it. To this day basketball is still my unexpected love and will be for as long as possible.