Overcoming the Hardest Things in My Life | Teen Ink

Overcoming the Hardest Things in My Life

December 11, 2015
By Anonymous

I've been through some tough times in my life, and I'm here to talk about the most important ones that have happened to me. My family was a great family and a happy family in my eyes and I thought that I was going to be part of a complete family. Until I was five years old, my parents started to fight, they screamed at each other, they threw objects around. I didn't understand what was going on in my life, but I didn't like it at all. The most important problems that have happened to me in my life was my parents divorce, parents being away from each other, and my dad's new life and mine.
          

When my parents got a divorce, I was only five years old. At the time I didn't know what was going on, I didn't understand. My parents separated from each other for a long time and they never talked to each other either for a while. For a few days, months, I don't remember how long, I didn't see my mom, but I do remember that I was with my dad for some time. In the meantime my mom was getting back on her feet. I had no idea what was going on; my dad was sad for some time about the divorce and he was worried about me, for me. He wondered what would happen to me when I would grow up with divorced parents. I grew up thinking about that to, thinking about who I missed most, who was better, who was my favorite parent. I couldn't decide, which is probably good because they are the best parents I can ever ask for.
           

Then Amanda came into my life, I was old enough to know a little bit about step moms, but I didn't want a new mom, a new person in the house. She seemed nice and all that but then she started getting comfortable around us, correcting us, making me do chores that I've never done before, never experienced before, changing my dad's manners and mine. She changed both of us. I was starting to get angry, mad, I didn't like her for a long time, she changed us way too much, being too bossy, I didn't like it. But Amanda didn't just change my life, but she changed my Dad’s life to, she changed how he felt and I thank her for that. My dad hasn't been himself for four to five years. when she met my dad, he found love again. at first I didn't want another mom or a different lady to get used to. She loved my dad and he loved her, so it was my turn to start to like her, and I'm getting around there.


Amanda`s sister was going through tough times with her life and those tough times came up to the point where she couldn't keep her youngest son Zander. For some reason no one else In her family would adopt him or take care of him. Then my dad took a big step ahead and Amanda followed him, they decided to adopt him. It took a few months to finish the papers and the court approval to adopt him. I wasn't there for it because I didn't need to be there I guess, I was only ten years old. After Zander was adopted we had to go through adoption steps, what not to do, and what to do. It was very confusing to me, am I supposed to love him or not you know, it was really weird. But eventually I just didn't care and I just accepted him as my new brother. Then my dad told me that I was going to be a blood brother. That hit me pretty hard in the gut; I wasn't to happy about it was either accept it or accept it you know, I had no choice. Nine months later Oliver came into the world. I wasn't too excited because I've never grew up with little ones or never been around newborn babies at all. The past two years have been a bumpy road with both of my brothers. Oliver and Zander are great brothers and they are annoying at the same time to. Either way I love them both.


Overcoming over these years have been hard for me but I have now understood what was meant to happen and what I was going to be. I'm their big brother, their oldest brother, and I need to protect them from harm. What I need to do is be there big brother that they look up to and the brother they go to for, advice, protection, helping them, being there for them. I'm the brother they need me to be and I'm the brother that I was always going to be. They look up to me where they want to be me, and that's going to happen sometime in their life and in mine. I'm going to be a great brother and the best son I can ever try to be. I know what my purpose is in my family now, I'm a brother and a son.


The author's comments:

Hi :)