Breathe | Teen Ink

Breathe

By Izzy1770 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Izzy1770 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

"The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again." -Charles Dickens

I was nine. The world was my oyster and I couldn’t wait to use my first summer without parents to guide my life in my own direction. My parents had always been uptight about me after having raised four rebellious kids prior to me coming along. I was eager to show the world everything I was capable of. As I first woke up on that glorious Saturday morning I had finally realized I was alone. Coming from a big family I had never had the house to myself before. Slowly as I stretched out from my utterly deep sleep I had realized I really wasn’t alone. I stumbled out of my bedroom only to catch myself in a realization that I had ever been alone before. Multiple personalities is what they called it. Me on the other hand...I liked to call it a conscience. As I stepped out of the front door my face was blasted with a fresh cold breeze of the crisp wilderness air. Everything looked so clear here. Even the once rushing blue waters were clear today. They were soft. Almost as if nothing was even there. I swear a subtle voice chanted me to jump in that day. Once I did I will never forget the next five seconds of my life. I was struggling holding in each breath almost as if it could be my last. Gasping for air I fought to swim back to the deck. Using every bit of energy that I had left I climbed.

I slipped and stretched with all my might. I wasn’t finished yet. Every muscle in my body was forcing me to keep my head to stay up. The navy swirled waves rushed over me. I continued to hold my head up. After five minutes I thought it was the end for me. My young body stayed grounded. No matter how much I tried. I let the waves take me down. It was peaceful I was finally calm. The cool water seemed to take a weight off of my shoulder. It almost felt as if I was in a dazed sleep. Suddenly a light shined to me as much as I closed my eyes it seemed to still be there. It was no average light it was brighter than the sun. Brighter than the biggest diamond you had ever seen. As much as I sunk down under the current, the light seemed to be closer and closer to my touch.

I grabbed at the glorious light. Except it wasn’t a light. I gripped harder. Suddenly I was out of the water. I looked up and saw a large woman that I had never seen before. She dragged me onto the dock and once I regained enough strength to stand up she had disappeared. I hadn’t had the time to thank the mysterious woman.

That first swim changed me. I became more grateful. I spent that summer learning how to swim. Despite being so horrendous at swimming, I never gave up. Every time I felt the need to give up I imagined the woman who saved me. There she was, pushing me to better myself. Her eyes were as dark as night and as clear as the lakefront water. Her hair was as bright as daisies on the first day of spring. I had never seen someone as beautiful as this mysterious woman.

Still surprised by the fact that the lake lady had saved me I had decided to better myself and value everything and everyone in a different light. Those whom had wronged me were automatically forgiven with no questions asked… Past actions didn’t bother my future so why should the memories? I ponder everyday on why I was as lucky as I was on that beautiful sunny morning.

First published piece.