The Car Crash | Teen Ink

The Car Crash

“Skeeeeeeeee!”

“Crash”

A seemingly red car rammed into a similar silver one. It was the early, freezing, morning of October 25, 2014, we were on our way to school, right outside our kid-filled street. I was shivering while my thighs touched the cold leather seats. Everyone in the car was dead silent while a smoke-like stench hung in the air. In the background, there was an extremely loud nonstop sound of a horn, but I focused on the collision up ahead of what turned out to be two sedans. Both of them were half crushed.

My large friend, sitting next to me, appeared rather comfortable in this situation. His entire body jiggling while shivering. He slowly turned his head to me, and despite how tragic this event is, he unexpectedly shouted, “THAT WAS AWESOME!” All the other kids in the car started shouting in agreement. All of them looked as if they totally ignored the fact that the person sitting in the car could have been seriously injured. My mom knew we were late so she slowly started moving. I turned my head, looking out the window, still following the big scene. The front half of the car was crushed but suddenly, the back door of the red sedan opened. A man slowly stepped out as if he was in great pain. He turned around and the bottom half of his face was covered with blood. I jerked back as if he was going to attack me. I could see the blood still rushing down from his nose. He started walking towards our street. I tried my best to focus on his face, cringing, as he looked like a half dead zombie. Suddenly, I froze. I remembered the red car, the plate number, the rectangular glasses he was wearing.

My disbelief was clear to everyone. I squinted harder as I looked at his face. This can’t be true. No way, I thought. It happened to be one of my friend’s dad. He disappeared into the foggy air as we left the intersection. I was hesitating to tell my mom as I was scared that she would scold me for saying such a thing. My mind slowly drifted off, replaying that terrifying scene again and again. The entire day flew by, I wasn’t paying attention in class, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. By the time I reached home, I forgot what we learned in school. I couldn’t resist picking up the phone and calling my dad. He explained how my friend’s dad had come to our house in the morning while I was at school, to rest. I put the phone down. I yelled, “I KNEW IT”. Everyone in the house started staring at me, I slowly walked away.

The next day, Saturday, I woke up in a shock from the sound of the doorbell.  I jumped out of bed and ran to the door. When I opened the door,  there was a brand new blue car parked in front of our house.