My Gift | Teen Ink

My Gift

By Bunny54 BRONZE, Defiance , Ohio
Bunny54 BRONZE, Defiance , Ohio

I was ten when my Grandpa Rohn said he would put me in his will. He put me in it for his Mossberg 870 twenty gauge shotgun. When there times come and hopefully it will not be for a long time, the gun will become mine. This gun is a very accurate shotgun. I like it very much. I have shot several deer with that gun.

It is a black, plastic stock, twenty-gauge shotgun. The gun is my grandpa’s as of right now, but I can use this magnificent gun whenever I want or when I am going hunting as long as it's the right law.

I am going to get this gift because I have been told I am a very good shot or a “dead eye” says my family. When he told me I was going to get that gun when God calls them both home, I was very excited. One day when we were out hunting when it was gun law, that means we can use shotguns for a week, but the rest of the time we can only use crossbows or compounds. That was when he told me that the gun would become mine. We didn't see anything, because it was completely barren that day.

While we were sitting in our little house on wheels that we hunt out of, we talked about everything and anything, and he said something about his gun that I was using.

“One day, Dominic, you will own this gun,” said my grandpa.

Then I said, “Why grandpa? I don’t deserve it!” but he insisted that someday I would own his gun.
This was the best day of my life even though we did not see a single deer! He also said, “I have been thinking about what will happen when my day comes when God calls me home.” Then he added, “And I would like to give you this gun because you are so good with it.”

This gun will be so important to me because it will remind me of him everytime I look at it and shoot it. When that sad day comes, that gun will become mine, and I can not wait to own such a magnificent gun.
I dread that day when God calls my grandparents home, but until that day the gun will continue to be my Grandpa Rohn’s. I will remember the amazing color-filled adventures with my grandpa and his Mossberg 870 twenty gauge shotgun.

Every time we go out for gun law, we each take a gun, and he usually hands me his Mossberg 870 twenty gauge shotgun. He takes his other shotgun, and then we set off to find some deer.