A Leap of Faith | Teen Ink

A Leap of Faith

February 2, 2023
By Anonymous

It was right when I got home, I threw on my uniform as I sped down the stairs hoping to not trip. I got into the car and we started driving. I thought to myself  “I’m going to do so good today!” 

I wasn’t. This was one of the first meets of the year so I was thrilled to be running again and had high hopes. But they were quickly shattered. I went to meet my team as I heard the first event called. “1st call for the 75 meter dash”

 It was my time. I get in my lane as I wait to go up. I hear “On your marks! Set! Go!” I started running as fast as I could, but it was fruitless. I placed 3rd. Disappointed, I walk back to my team as they congratulate me. I respond with empty “thanks”. I’m a bit discouraged that I didn’t win but regardless After sitting down and drinking water I almost didn’t hear them announce “2nd call for the 100 meter dash” 

I had nearly missed my next race! I go over and get lined up, I’m first up. I look around and see I’m going against the same people who beat me in the 75! I start to get nervous and my shoulders are feeling heavier and heavier. I see everyone get ready to run so I do as well. I zone out but snap back when I hear him call Go!

 I started running but I felt like there were chains holding me back, restraining me from winning. I finished 3rd. My hopes are down as I’m heading back and in an even more discouraged tone, I mutter thanks to my teammates. I’m waiting for my final event with no expectations to win. My team tries to cheer me up by cracking jokes but my negative thoughts get the best of me. I hear them call for my final event, the long jump.

 I walk over and I see something. Already thinking this day couldn’t get any worse, I see people who have beaten me in the past. I think to myself  “Well now there’s no way I’m going to win.” They take our names and give us an order. I see the other contestant’s run and jump. I realize and say to myself  “their marks and they’re so far!”

 I feel weighed down by the pressure of everyone staring daggers at me. line up and start running. I started running but I felt slowed by the wind. Unable to do my best I jumped. But I stepped over the line and was then disqualified. So with a frown on my face, I stand up and turn around. But before I could walk away my coach (who was putting the marks down) told me that I would’ve beat all of them. I felt surprised and my thoughts went crazy. I think “wait, can I win this?” 

I perk up and I start getting hyped up. She gives me a look of reassurance and I go back to the waiting area. I feel no more doubt and I’m ready to win. As I wait for my jump, my legs feel like noodles and it feels as if the sun is focusing all its energy on me. But I had confidence that I was going to win. I felt the sun beating down on me as I waited for my turn. When it was my turn I ran the fastest I ever had. I felt like a lighting bolt crashing down from the sky. I hear the final thump as I lift off and take a leap of faith. When I landed I saw the unimaginable. 

I had done it! You could’ve seen the grin on my face from a mile away as I took my ribbon and walked back to my team who were glad I won. The lesson I learned was to believe in myself because if I had kept the same mindset of doubt then I wouldn’t have won. Also, my coach’s words really motivated me to win because she inspired me to not let myself get down and to try my best. This affects me today because I now have more confidence and I don’t let my negative thoughts get in the way.