Pre-Meet Panic | Teen Ink

Pre-Meet Panic MAG

By Anonymous

   "You're up next on beam, Susan."

Oh, great. This is going to be awful. I'm going to fall flat on my face and die. Not to mention the fact that I'll make a fool of myself at the same time.

That's it ... Way to be optimistic, Susan.

I'm going to draw a blank. A huge blank. I'll remember my complete Spanish conjugations, my physics equations, and my preschool teacher's favorite color. But not my routine.

But you've practiced it dozens of times! More than dozens of times!

You've got it down!

I'm going to forget to salute the judges. They're going to hate me. And my dismount ... I haven't even thought about my dismount yet!! What is my dismount? Why do I do gymnastics, anyway?

"Susan, you're up!"

"Thanks, coach."

Okay, here goes. Smile, salute, deep breath ... mount.

*****

"Great job, Susan!"

"Did you see your score?"

"That was your best routine yet!"

Funny I can't remember a thing. But I did stick that dismount.

"Rotation! Please proceed to the next event: Floor exercise."

Aargh! My music's going to stop halfway through. Or maybe it won't even start! I'm going to have an asthma attack, or at least be carried out on a stretch. See that gray boundary line on the maroon mat, Susan? You're going to trip on it. That's when I'll fall flat on my face and make a fool of myself ...

Quiet, Susan! Get on that mat! The judges are waiting and if you don't

hurry up ... l