Pheasant Hunting | Teen Ink

Pheasant Hunting

October 31, 2007
By Anonymous

Pheasant hunting is a very fun sport or activity to do. I like to consider it as a sport because it involves work and it involves talent. You have to have a hunting license in order to go pheasant hunting, and in order to get a license, you need a hunters safety course card or you need to be 18 years old. Usually you can get the licenses at local gas stops or at sportsman's warehouses like Kones corner. You have to hunt pheasants with a shotgun in order to be legal, usually you use any where from a 6 shot to 3 or 4 shot; otherwise, it's pretty much overkill. You can use a 20 gauge, 16 gauge, 12 gauge, 10 gauge, or a 4-10 gauge. The best way to go pheasant hunting is with a hunting dog and a couple people to walk through tall grass. After a pheasant gets up, you have to know if it is a hen or if it is a rooster; a rooster is the bright and really colorful bird with a white ring around their necks and long tail feathers, which are the ones that you shoot, the hens are the birds that are brown and dull in color with shorter tail feathers. Each person with a hunting license can shoot three pheasants.

Another way to hunt is road hunting. It is legal but you have to be in the ditch when you shoot and you have to be careful to be sure you know whose property it is on if they are across the fence; otherwise, the ditch is legal no matter what. The best part about road hunting is that it does not make you dog tired, like walking through thick weeds and grass does to you.