Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

Seriously? said...

It's ridiculous that Michael Vick gets less than 2 years in prision for torturing and murdering living creatures, yet Plaxico Burress, who didn't hurt anyone except himeself, gets roughly the same sentence plus 2 years probation?

Apparently hurting yourself and murdering innocents are worth the same in the eyes of the law.

You have to be a disturbed individual to partake in animal brutality. Plus most people who abuse or harm others have started out by abusing and harming animals. It's a downward spiral.

bean123 said...
i think it disgusting what vick did. i was never a big fan of him and his conviction did nothing to improve my views of him. however, you have to put yourself in his shoes. he was born to two unmarried parents and raised in a bad neighborhood with drug dealing and drive bys. it's hard to rise above how you were born. he already did that by becoming a pro athlete. he made a mistake that was probably influenced by his childhood. how much blame can you put on him?

AliceLevene BRONZE, Vancouver, Other

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after
- Mark Twain

Ummm, he's not the only one who kills animals for amusement. Have you ever heard of hunters? And what they do is legal. At least he went to jail for this, so many people don't even get as much as a smack on the rist.

prezgucci said...
prezgucci, Greensboro, North Carolina
I agree, he is working even harder and is so much more of an amazing qb after the incident ,since he realized his terrible mistake.

CourtneyJayye SILVER, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game

Michael Vick is human just like the rest of us. We all make mistakes, and expect others to forgive us. I feel that Michael Vick made a mistake that he regretted during 23 months in prison, but it made him a better person. Atlanta Falcons have moved on from the incident, and now work harder than they did when Vick played for them.

number 1 said...
Yay # 1 anyway i feel that Vick does deserve what he got because he commited a crime.

death said...

hmmm this is intresting

I think Michael Vick is a great QB but not because he is rich and famous he is not going to pay for what he has done

EaglesGirl10 said...
Wow....Really?!  I can't believe this article.  Yeah, I do love dogs, but the man did his time, let him alone.  Mike Vick is an amazinggg QB & I think he shows that on the field.  He understands what he did wrong, if u would watch the NFL channel, u would see all of the shows of him apologizing for what he did.  I was really disappointed in him for dog fighting, but he knows what he did wrong & he apologized.  Give the man a chance.  I believe everyone deserves a second chance & he is getting his with the eagles.  They are on their way 2 the Super Bowl this year & he is the starting QB.  I think u shouldn't judge him as a person, judge him on the field, & in my eyes, he has already won that battle.  Watch him sometime on TV & ull know how great of a QB he is.  Just my opinion......:)

Mike23 said...
yall all wrong

Mike23 said...
Micheal Vick is the best and will stay the best.That messed his life up but. 

BeautifulXWallflower PLATINUM, Wyoming, Michigan
He CHOSE to have his social life a PART of his professional life when he chose to be a PROFESSIONAL athlete. That was the price he paid, just like any other celebrity. You get the stardom and the attention and the money but you ALSO get millions of kids looking up to you and therefore you need to accept your punishment just like everyone else and try to set a GOOD example. If some random, average-Joe was dog fighting, people in that neighborhood would be upset and hate him. But because Mike Vick is a star, people are willing to turn the other cheek. I think what he did was wrong. I think his sentencing was fair. I think that the author is putting down his accomplishments as an athlete because of the things he did SOCIALLY. But I also think that he chose this life and it's his own fault for not thinking things through.

koolkat said...
Ur sooo dumb, like vick killed dogs. if he was killing kids the reaction wouldn't be "move on, give him a second chance. its shouldnt be now either."

heatlebron6 said...
heatlebron6, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

All Day

agree

heatlebron6 said...
heatlebron6, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

All Day

I dont agree he is a great person!

you are stupid,

poopstain said...
Okay, yes we all know what Vick has done and that he is well hated for that. But i think he has changed now. Everybody deserves second chances, even those who do unthinkable crimes. Go Browns!

gape horn said...
i hear you. micheal vick should be in prison. what sick and dimented person treats little inossent animals like that. And overall good description

4norsemen said...
I think we put to much emphasis on athletes personal lives look like. If a football player is truly just another working person then why don't we treat them as such? Think of all the crimes of equal or greater severity that happen every day that don't recieve nearly as much attention.

4norsemen said...
I appologize if I came off as grumpy, I understand your opinion and respect it but I also wanted to give my opinion on the matter.