Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

heatlebron6 said...
on Sep. 22 2010 at 8:43 am
Well i think that Vick shouldn't have gone to jail because he did not do anything that was that bad but he should have went to jail for just for a little. Like for 3 mounths. If u watch him play with the eagals u realize of how good of a qb he is. He now got a starting job with the eagals as a qb and he is really good at the qb position.

well what the heck, if a convicted rapist serves his time, let's let him go back to being a teacher. If a murderer serves his lenient sentence, let him go back to the streets. 

It's not like Vick was hurting himself only; if he sold drugs or if he was tax evading or something then yeah let him come back. But he is torturing living things. That's like sociopathic behavior--signs of a murderer. And I'm not one to say animals have more rights than humans, but it's pretty inhuman to torture animals.

on Sep. 16 2010 at 12:25 am
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
:) well put, serena

on Sep. 16 2010 at 12:22 am
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
Well, of course the NFL has a right not to rehire Vick. He made his choices and he was aware of possible outcomes. But he did serve his time, and I believe he should be given a second chance.

on Sep. 16 2010 at 12:19 am
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
I would like to argue with that comment, but I must admit that you have a point. I would classify killing animals for their meat, therefore for a purpose, as more honorable than killing just for entertainment, but people hunt for recreation. People hunt just for the fun of murdering lower creatures. And while I'm horrified by dogfights, you do have a point... all animals are created equal.

on Sep. 13 2010 at 7:38 am
derekjones BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
i Hate the fact sence Vick fought Pit bulls everyone thinks that they are bad dog because i have 4 kids running around my house and my pitbulls wouldnt think to attack child ever.

Tommy Jones said...
on Sep. 9 2010 at 10:57 am
Ok dogs dont have freakin feeling!! he did drugs and did illegal things. so he deserves punishment but  he was a unique and good quarterback because he could run and THROW and hes not gonna do anything to humans!! GO PHILIDELPHIA!!! PUt  that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

Tommy Jones said...
on Sep. 9 2010 at 10:53 am
He killed a few dogs he deserves a second chance.  and dogs dont have souls so its not that bad.

DownWithVick said...
Vick is a joke and yea he is good at football and is a great athlete but he is sick in the head. He is the reason why people think pitbulls are bad dogs. Thats dogist. Racist againt dogs. Thats like saying all black people are mean but we all know thats not true.

Tuff Gurl said...
on Sep. 4 2010 at 10:21 am
ok, this is what I think: I think destroying living things for humour is disgusting. Hunting, when animals are hunting each other is different, because that's the food chain. But I don't think gun hunting is right. Guns are wrong, I believe. If you hunt animals, at least eat them. Don't just leave the carcasses to rot.

Of course I don't have to do what they do. It's all about influence. Role models don't show you how to act they show you what you can get away with and what happens to them for the way they act.

And no I don't know anything about Disney because I don't watch it lol.

SillySarah BRONZE, Covert, Michigan

Live today as if there is no tomorrow.

And like I said you don't have to do whatever they do. And if you follow people like that, then it doesn't make you much better, does it?

Disney is a great example of good role models. . . but have you not seen who started off in the Mickey Mouse Club? Or even some of the newer Disney stars? Kids look up to these people and they have done some  inappropriate stuff too, and they still have jobs. (Not intended in a bad way, because everybody makes mistakes.)

What he does has everything to do with football. I've been playing for 6 years and I've seen how NFL players influence people my age and younger. The way they celebrate touchdowns is the way we do. The way they hype up their teams is the way we do. The way they argue with coaches or referees and what they say in interviews is the same kind of stuff that we do.

And when pro football players get away with terrible crimes like this, guess what kind of aditude we start to have for when we get in trouble?

The people wearing skimpy outfits and do drugs are not intended for child audiences. They're for mature audiences. Football players are for all audiences and there's an honor code (well there used to be) associated with them--there's no such thing associated with other celebrities usually.

SillySarah BRONZE, Covert, Michigan

Live today as if there is no tomorrow.

Yes, he did ruin his own career and obviously he isn't a good role model But what he did had nothing to do with football. And good role models means nothing towards this, because other "role models" who kids look up to wear skimpy outfits and do drugs and nothing has been done about that yet either.

Yeah so let him get any other job but the NFL. He ruined his own career. A football player should be held to higher standards because he is a role model. Vick clearly isn't a good role model.

SillySarah BRONZE, Covert, Michigan

Live today as if there is no tomorrow.

Michael Vick knew what he was doing, So I believe that he deserved more time in jail, But munkyman95 has got a point. To ruin a guy's career would be wrong. I mean, what he did was so wrong, but he served his time. And yeah, people do see football players as role models but you don't have to do everything that they do.

LightMeUpTheStars BRONZE, Middletwown, Pennsylvania

"No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky."
"Insecurities are about as useful as trying to put the pin back in the grenade."

So you're saying that hunting is also wrong? So why can people get a liscense to hunt animals? How isn't that wrong? And also look at what you were saying "how would you feel if yo0uo were..." If we were animals it would be natural, there's predators to every animal we wouldn't notice the difference if it was another animal or a human.

yes the NFL is too important because football players are role models whether you like that fact or not. I have been playing football for 6 years and I know very well that every player looks up to what the guys in the NFL do. If the NFL stars argue with the refs, so do we. If NFL players do a certain Touchdown dance, so do we. Vick can get a job doing something to benefit the community. Not earning millions of dollars to disgrace my favorite football team.

KourtneyBriann BRONZE, Niles, Michigan
This is really smart and good. I loved reading it. Thanx. Plz everyone coment and rate my work. It means a lot to me when u do.

munkyman95 GOLD, Medway, Other

I will become, what I know I am' Michael Jordan

Right...so what you're saying is that once a criminal gets out of jail...they should not be allowed to get a job? Not allowing Vick to play would give an aloof and arrogant sense to the NFL..as it either suggests they think dog killers should not be allowed to work...or that while its okay for Vick to work somewhere else..the NFL is too important?