Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

Austin J BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

This artical Says micheal vick lost it all. LIE!!!!

Go Eagles

As far as I know Micheal Vick is still rich and famious.

Everhart said...
Everhart, Boston, Massachusetts

"I am a fat girl, trapped in a normal girl's body."

My aunt and I both agree that he shouldn't have been allowed to play again until they did to him what he did to those dogs. Cruelty at its height. Great article.

dangitskell said...
dangitskell, Spotsylvania, Virginia

"Male actors drop lines about their private jets, trying to seem powerful, but I don’t give a shit. I don’t need someone else’s power. I’m obtaining my own."

i feel the same. vick should still be in jail for that and its stupid how he only got 23 months in prison. & he shouldnt be playing anymore football, he should be abandonded.

FunXsize3 BRONZE, Honey Brook, Pennsylvania

"Life is like a box of choclates"

This excalty how i feel... I am ashamed that he is playing for philadelphia..he is a Vicious inhumane cruel killer

Michael Vick is a real jerk and I hope he doesn;t do well with the Eagles.

Jenni_Marie said...
Very well written; you get your point across without shoving in the reader's face (like some of the comments on this do).

NonsensicalMuse PLATINUM, San Anotnio, Texas

"There is nothing wrong with having your head in the clouds as long as you don't get altitude sickness"

"Perhaps you are right,perhaps not. I don't know 110% either way.All I know is that Im in search of truth. If you are too, let us be friends."

Rob H.

what is your problem-did you not just read this article-wat outstanding accomplishments-since when is killing hundreds of inoceent animal and accomplishment-please get over your fandom as see this guy for what he really is-a murderous jerk!

I personally think he should have gotten life sentence-that's what you get when you killa person-why should a dog be any different?

asesa234 BRONZE, Garrison, New York

"What can I say? I'm me."

Oh please, you seriously need to sort out your priorities!

asesa234 BRONZE, Garrison, New York

"What can I say? I'm me."

I absolutely agree with the author of this article and the people who do not support Michael Vick. He deserves absolutely NO slack. He was brought up in the ghetto, ok that's great and all but does he still live in the ghetto or a mulit-millon dollar mansion. You guys can't even say that he needed the money, he's a celebrity and not just a celebrity but a sports star-sport stars have a lot of money. I agree with BleedingRose. Before you people are so quick go ok what he did look at some photos of dogs who were in the fights. If anyone of you can look at those pictures with a striaght face and tell me that he doesn't deserve more punishment, then you need a reality check. And besides, like Michael Phelps who was a rolemodel and did drugs and lost many fans, so should Vick- only those worthy of being a rolemodel should stay one.

robrobrobin11 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire
Comments, are constructive about writing, not the topic. Defedning you opinion of Vick isn't helping the writer. I think that the writing was solid for a non-fiction piece, it had support for claims and the right amount of emotion behind it. Nice writing :)

fireang said...
i think you are right mike vick did do drugs and meerly killed hundreds of dogs for his own fun and amusement he is no hero. If he wanted to run he should have been a rb because a qb passes the ball not run it all the time

Rob Hawes BRONZE, Easton, Massachusetts
I think Micheal Vick should get the World Seried M.V.P for his outstanding goals

Rob Hawes BRONZE, Easton, Massachusetts
I LOVE FOOTBALL

BleedingRose PLATINUM, Frederic, Wisconsin

*The darkness holds infinite possibilities.

(mine)

Try reading the full article before you post stuff. Do you understand fully what dog fighting is? Why don't you look up some pics of the dogs with their faces half ripped off after this? Or know the fact that they have the poor dogs fight porcipines and kill their own puppies for training? I'm really upset people are okay with this.

11coreya SILVER, Fullerton, California

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game" Babe Ruth

he messed up and admitted his mistakes now let him move on

11coreya SILVER, Fullerton, California

Sorry but michael vick has turned his life around and you will probably choose not to believe this. He is back in the NFL and rightfully so. Why should he be punished more than what is required by the law. he did his time and got his punishment now let him move on with his life

i didnt really like this artical bc y would he write about this like really i mean i didnt read it fully but still

man thts really deep and sappy y u writting this?

wat r u plpe takin about this makes no sense