Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

BigPeterT SILVER, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
NO YOU ARE!

DellsBallas BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota

If your not first your last.

I agree big peter t

you are theee man

If your not first your last.

Well i think that Michael Vick got in a lot more trouble than he should have. Dante Stallworth killed a guy and he had to go to jail a lot less than him.

VICK IS A BEAST. LEAVE HIM ALONE

unicornlover BRONZE, Roslyn, New York

"Love is a battlefield"

i like vick as a qb but personaly not so much

MN Vikings said...
Mike vick is a good qb let him go

IK! RIGHT!?!

If your not first your last.

IK! Right!?!

If your not first your last.

yyeeeeaaaahhh

I disagree with sunsfan12. Mike Vick used to be my hero but he just had to be an idiot. Brandon B. would not be able to write about him if he wasn't fighting dogs in the first place!

vickhater147 said...
u shouldn't be his#1 fan

Sunsfan12 said...
I so agree with BigPeterT, really, you don't just go of writing about a NFL player who just went to prison like a few years ago.

I dont think thats true, why cant he have second chance

If your not first your last.

I also agree with you 3. Vick not a good quarterback he is a good football player and he is just a pure athlete that deserves a second chance. Just think he is the only player EVER to have 1000 rushing and passing yards in one season.

IizFrozen SILVER, Dell Rapids, South Dakota

~Its not how deep you fish~
~Its the motion of the ocean~

~I hope to die like my grandfather who died in his sleep~
~and not like the pasengers in his car who went screaming~

I agree with BigPeterT

AquaMan BRONZE said...
AquaMan BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

I did not like this article at all Vick was good QB and he still is. Sure he made some mistakes, who hasn't? The Falcons did the right thing in getting Vick Because he was good for them at the time, and besides that LT is terrible and AP is the best running back in the legue! Go Vick!

Dude, cmon. Be a little respectful.

Your very wrong

Are you kidding me dude, you are so wrong. vick was not a bad quarterback, I watched him play my Eagles in the NFC Championship. And now he on my Eagles. You said he played his last down in the NFL, he's played some with the Eagles and now the Bills want him. Dont write stuff thats not true. He made a mistake, and you HAVENT? Know information better than that and dont make lies to make him look bad. Dog fightings bad, and so is lying. So this story was absolutely terrible.

scrappy doo said...
dis storii was da bom bii i liked it