Volleyball: You Either Love To Play Or You Don't | Teen Ink

Volleyball: You Either Love To Play Or You Don't

Imagine this: you’re standing on a volleyball court, about to serve the ball into play. It’s game point, and the score is 13-14 in the fifth game. Your team is only up by one point, and the team is counting on you to serve the ball in. The stands are filled with parents and the student section is completely filled with people from your school. You’re being filmed live on television and everyone is watching you. You feel the pressure building up as you remember that it’s the state finals and that one point can bring you home the first state title for volleyball. You serve the ball in and win the point. Your body goes numb from being in shock and everyone on your team tackles each other to the ground in the center of the court as the student body runs down from the stands. You are a state champion.

Athletes have a tendency to be misunderstood by those who do not play sports. Putting myself in their perspective, I think to myself: why do I dedicate so much of my time to sports? After years and years of playing and as seasons go by, volleyball has become a significant part of my life. I do not think twice about spending thousands of dollars on Junior Olympic volleyball to travel all over the country and practice multiple times a week somewhere forty minutes away. When I’m on the court, I forget about all of my problems. I forget about school, homework, people, responsibilities, and all other troubles. My biggest worry on the court is finding the weaknesses of the other team and scoring points to win the game.

I will never forget my first ever volleyball practice. I was in fourth grade, and the only reason I decided to play was because all the girls in my class were playing. We all wore sweat-shorts and turtle-shell kneepads. There was not one girl who owned a pair of real volleyball shoes. I did not even know how volleyball worked. It is amazing how much can change through numerous seasons. I have developed a love for the sport, even though most of the girls I played with in fourth grade have quit. We (volleyball players) now frown upon wearing sweat-shorts and turtle-shell kneepads, and if you do not wear real volleyball shoes than we consider you an amateur.

I do not play volleyball because I consider it fun. That is all it used to be to me, but it is way more than that now. Most athletes do not play sports because it is fun. In all honesty, most athletes hate the sport they play. The reason we play sports is because we cannot imagine our lives without the sport we play. Volleyball is a part of me. I live for the practices, sprints, long tournaments all over the country, team bonding, cheers, training, and injuries. I take pride in the fact that I would rather be working out than watching television or eating junk food. I am proud of the fact that I can bench more than some of the guys I know. There is no greater satisfaction than earning each point in a game and winning.

All in all, volleyball has made me the person I am today. Through volleyball, I am tough physically, mentally, and emotionally. I am one of the strongest people I know. I have received guidance through the coaches that shape me as a player and as a person. In the past year, I have found motivation and self-determination through myself and training. Volleyball is one of the few things that can inspire me to bring the best out of myself and not give up. Before I realized how much volleyball truly meant to me, I did not know if there was anything that could prompt me to work hard, because I am a horrible procrastinator. Because of my strong mentality and ability to hold myself together in hard situations, there is nothing that can break me. I do not believe in showing weakness, such as frustration or injuries. I have developed leadership skills as a team captain and have learned to bring people together and stay strong for the team.