Basketball is Life | Teen Ink

Basketball is Life

By Roebi Mitchell BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Roebi Mitchell BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I started to play basketball when I was about 6 years old. People thought I wasn’t good, so they told me to go home. I told my dad to get a basketball court in our backyard so I could practice. Every day, I’ll go outside on my court and practice the things that my dad taught me, my dad is a pretty good basketball player. When I turned ten I was ready to play with the big boys my jumper got a lot better, my speed got way faster, my strength got way stronger, and also my aggression on the court was a lot tougher. Basketball to me is my life, if somebody tries to embarrass me or talk about me, I don’t care what they say because my way of talking is on the courts. I don’t let that get in my way of what I love to do.I see things in a positive way. My dad and I both go to the gym every day after I get done with my homework and we do drills and play one on one. Most of the time I spend is at my brother's basketball game watching and telling him what he’s doing wrong. After the game he will teach me how to do new things when I’m getting double teamed, like spinning through the middle, also getting low and then dribbling low when I have full possession of the ball . I learned basketball mostly from my dad because he was one of the best players on his high school and college team. One thing I learned in my life is I have to accept failure to get better.