A Non-Native New Yorker | Teen Ink

A Non-Native New Yorker

June 1, 2022
By gwriting123 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
gwriting123 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was surprisingly silent. Thousands of people filled the streets yet you could still hear the wind. Everyone had a place they were going, no waiting, no stopping. From the voices I heard, they all spoke different languages. All being used commonly and not just as a home language. Huge screens filled the streets with light, illuminating passerby. Pigeons walked beside everyone, unafraid to get close. Barely any trees were visible or even present. Trash bags lined the streets at night. Strip clubs and adult stores were on the main street- which are unfound in my small town back home. Many different shoes and clothes. So many well dressed people. Wind tunneled through the high buildings, leaving me cold even though I’m from Wisconsin. Although the city is so different from home, the city’s life drew me in, leaving me pleading for more time to stay.


The author's comments:

I went to New York earlier this year to preform at Carnegie Hall with my school band. It left me craving from more as the city experience was so different from my life in Wisconsin. We had preformed with a group from the Czech Republic and a group from Poland. I loved to meet new people and learn about different cultures and lives.